Looking for a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graphicsman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Nashville, TN
I have been experimenting with smokers for the past year but i have been cooking for a long time.  Last year i bought a cheap Home Depot grill/smoker box and i wasnt impressed with it.  So i had planned on getting a new one and was wondering what people thought of the Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18 1/2 Inch Smoker.  I typically like to smoke pork and chicken.  I would soon like to try my first brisket.

Any suggestions would be great 

I have the 18.5 as do many others here... It is great..

Here is a little reading from the handy dandy search tool>    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=+18.5+WSM++  

Ya missed the roll call post ...

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I would suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Then use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

Last edited:
You may want to spend the extra $100 & get the 22.5. It will give you a lot more area and you can do full racks of ribs without cutting them.

If you are the slightest bit handy save the money and build yourself a UDS.  It will cost you about $100 and can cook just as much as a weber 22.  The money you will save can throw one heck of a shindig when you finish making it.  I have built several and they cook like a dream set and forget.  All you need is a power drill a step bit and a weekend.  I never thought I could make one at first but after stumbling through my first one have built 7 more and have 6 drums in the back yard.  Don't let the simple design fool you some of the best BBQ in the world has been prepared on Drum Smokers.  

Last edited:
Yup...sounds like the "Don't get the MES 30..get the 40".

I have cooked lots of food at one time on my 18.5. More than enought to feed 10 people.

And used a whole lot less charcoal than the 22.5.

And 16 pounds of spare ribs...who cares if they got cut???

Look>>>http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/105905/todays-smoke-spare-ribs-the-money-shot  

Have a great day!!

Craig
I agree with Craig on this. I read about charcoal consumption from people who have the 22, and I'm glad I have the 18.5. I get an average of 12hrs on half of an 8 pound bag of lump.

I have the 22.5" WSM and love it!  I don't know why people are going through so much charcoal other than the fact that maybe they are doing something wrong.  I can use a half bag for a 4 hour rib smoke and the smoker is still hot when I'm done.  I had an SFB Chargriller, now that thing went through some charcoal.  I spent more on fuel than I did on meat!
38.gif

Before you buy or build anything ask yourself a few questions.

How much so you want to spend?

How much room do you have?

How often do you think you will cook?

What do you think you will cook?

For how many do you think you will be cooking for?

Also -read read read - It never ceases to amaze me how creative the folks here are with their cooking. When I first started I have a Brinkman, then an el chepo offset, then a Klose. THEN I found the Big Green Egg and fell in love.  For me it was a journey. The Egg fits my cooking style - which is lazy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky