Looking for a new Smoker. Advice on this one?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justinkp

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Western Pennsylvania
Hi.   I've been smoking for about 4 years and my first smoker finally quit.   Not on it's own, we had a bad storm and the wind was so strong it actually picked up the smoker and threw it across my deck and everything inside is destroyed along with a nice dent in the smoker itself.    It was time for a new one anyhow!  

I was looking at the following smoker.  30 inch electric which matches the one I used to have.  This one has a window and remote control though which is really helpful to me.      I'd like to go no more than $300 on my budget.     I usually cook brisket, ribs, pulled pork, and sausages.   The only thing I think I'd need to buy in addition to the smoker below would be the sausage hooks to hang the sausage on.  I use cherry and hickory wood for my beef  and pork, and apple for chicken currently.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...-Window-and-Remote-Control-20070411/202461863

Any suggestions on something that would be a better option for me or even less expensive?   Thanks

I think you can get a first gen. 30 for like 150 bucks I saw somewhere.  That would leave you some cash for accessories. Or a bunch of meat. The window is not really needed and you could save some money without that. There are about half a million mes owners on this website. The search bar at the top of the page is your friend here.

Last edited:
If your not set on a window, there's this MES gen 1 for $177. I have this one & it works fine, just get a separate therm for temps as the temp in this is way off from what the stock therm says !

Waterin, I think you bring a great point.  My old smoker was a MES similar to the one you linked, and I kept thinking the wireless thermometer I bought for it was all jacked up because it showed 300 degrees when I had the smoker set to 150.  Im wondering if its the smoker itself?

Waterin, I think you bring a great point.  My old smoker was a MES similar to the one you linked, and I kept thinking the wireless thermometer I bought for it was all jacked up because it showed 300 degrees when I had the smoker set to 150.  Im wondering if its the smoker itself?
All the masterbuilt models have crap thermometers. A maverick or other good probe setup is just a great investment and you can even use it in the house.

Most of the smokers that are at the big box stores have cheap thermometers that are not that accurate, Replace it or add a good one

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky