Looking for a gear reduction drive

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kookie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Mandan North Dakota
Anyone know where I can find a gear reduction drive? I want to motorize my #22 enterprise bolt down grinder. I have looked around the net and I can't seem to find one that I know will work. So if anyone has done a grinder this way and knows of someplace to order one reasonably priced, please let me know. Thanks

Kookie

I have seen a grinder done that way and it does work well , I have seen those boxes at the flea market in the summer time close to my house and they were not too bad of priced I have thought about getting a couple to have around . But can not tell you how to find one online
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks PigCicles. I have read those posts. But they used pulleys and I was hoping to use a gear reduction drive. I know a few members talked about them in the posts. So I hope they will chime in about their grinders.
Maybe MossyMo found one. I seen he was looking for one too.

Thanks
Kookie

Thats usually how it goes when your looking for something you can find it, but when your not looking for it you find a ton of them. I will just have to keep my eyes open and see if I can stumble on one.

Kookie

Kookie
I am still looking..... I am finding them on eBay but I guess I must be to conservative for what I want to spend (tightwad) !!!

For a 1725 to 1750 rpm motor you would want a 20 to 1 reducer to get the grinder turning in the mid to high 80 rpm's. If you find one you are going to be bidding on, let me know; we do not need to be bidding against each other !!!

I also sent you a PM with info for your local area.

check around with the weld and fab shops for old wire feeders these have small dc powered gear reducers with high torque and variable speed.
i made two of these and loaned them out during deer season thru the years.now i need to make me one since no one knows where they are.

Thanks guys for the help. I am kinda like MossyMO I am a tightwad. I guess thats why I am a diy'er. I have heard you can find the gear boxes on commercial/industrial overhead door openers and that they work good. Well I am still searching and I will keep you posted.

Hope everyone has a good new years.

Kookie

Funny thing. I was just doing a google search for gear reduction drives and I found this post on the first page of the search. I thought it was funny to find my own post here.

Kookie

www.sausagemania.com had some instructions on how to convert a 22# hand grinder with a 1750 rpm motor.. I built 3/4 hp.one like the picture in pig cicle post. It took a while to get the belts to quit slipping. Mine turned 72 rpms after the belt reduction pillow block. If you turn to fast it will smear the grease and meat. Also for best results always 1/2 freeze your meat..keep it really cold. Those dang new belts stretch for a while..Then it really grinds!

I put one together about 5 years ago using the plans from the sausagemania site using a #32 grinder with ball bearings and a 2 phase, 110 or 220 volt 3/4 horse motor. It grinds meat like a dream and fast, but is just big a cumbersome to move around. So when I do find the right speed reducer I will have another project.

Here is a link to the plans I followed - http://www.sausagemania.com/grinder.html

and here are a few pics of my finish product-

Mossymo nice setup. But like you, I was hoping to make something as light as I can and safer then using belts. I did talk to the guy from Bisman that sells the grinders on there, he told me he didn't have anythin small enough for my #22 grinder. But he would let me know if he finds one. He was telling me that a 20:1 ratio was to slow, that I needed one that was 10:1 or 15:1 and that I wanted the grinder turning at about 120 rpms to 175 rpms. So I am not sure. This is just want he was telling me.

I did see something in the new harbor freight catalog that I am wondering if it would work and make things easier, it's a speed control dial for a router. It's on sale for $19.99, item 43060-1RYA. I am temped to order one and then all you would have to do is couple the motor to the grinder and then plug the motor into this speed dial box and plug box into the outlet. Might be worth a shot.

Kookie

go to an industrial bearing supply house for pillow block and shaft....if they do not have shaft a small electric motor shop or hvac shop woul have for a furnace....then i can supply you with a fornula one you know desire rpm you seek...pulleys are avaiable at napa auto supply or a small engine/gocart shop that are what is called weldable blank...you by pieces that you weld together to set your own width..you get a center and 2 shells--easily mig welded together...

Fred, I am looking for a gear box so I don't have to use pulleys and belt. But thats for the advice.

Kookie

I can not find the link I read 6 years ago......Hhmmmm, I am sure it was bookmarked in my favorites back then.... If I recall correctly Hobart (an equipment food processing company I would trust) had done extensive research on the best rpm to grind meat and if I again (recall) correctly was 84 rpm's.

When I put together my belt pulley set up I had it "estimated at 87 - 89 rpm's", with belts and pulley diameters, this was the best I came up with with parts I found.

If I am figuring correctly, a motor turning 1725 rpm's and hooked up to a 20 to 1 speed reducer should be turning the grinder approximately 76.25 rpm's?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky