Lookin for some help...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

undrtakr24

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Upstate
Hi all, I have a question...I'm a real noobie to smoking, infact I looking to buy my first smoker and am leaning towards an electric one (however still might be persuaded towards a gas) anyways, instead of asking my question again...please look at my tread in roll call (3rd page) or read the whole thing if you wish...thanks in advanced.

The roll call thread will automatically pop to the top when you post another reply there...

I guess it's up to you on the smoker. Lots of pros and cons were given. Your main concern should be BTU's... can you keep temp in the cold. Re-read the posts there. As I said in my case, I use propane with a wind break now. However, I have a longer delivery hose which allows me to keep my tank in my garage... to answer Dutch's comment.

Either way, you'll figger out what needs to be done to get 'er done. Rare is a smoker on here without a mod or two, and help is easy to find. Jump on in, the water's fine!

ya I guess you are right Richtee, I guess my biggest concern is I dont want to waste my money and second guess myself after. Just be patient with me...I'll be smoking with you guys here shortly.

Get a Stumps........no second guessing then...........
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

All joking aside, good luck with your search for the right tool for the job.

No prob. We want you to get smoking too...with the right equipment. Only we can help only so much. Notice the number of members here with 2-3 smokers? grin

Unless you live in a warm climate or have a way to smoke in a shelter or have access to tons of free wood - I'd go with charcoal or propane at least to start - winters comming. You may later want to go with a stick burner.

I think on a whole from persoanl experiance and reading the forum:

Bullets are best for charcoal
Verticals are best for propane

I sometimes add a few coals to my Camp Chef Smoke Vault propane vertical just because I like the taste or when I do a cold smoke for cheese or bacon or Lox. They have alot more space than bullets do and are very convienent to use. Nothing more convienent IMHO and they come in different sizes - get a big one!

I still love my Brinkaman All-In-One (the not so cheap ECB) and I can use propane, coal or electric although I don't even remember where I stashed the electric thingy. Iv'e only used it with charcoal or propane to start the coals. I did make it all the way through an icey New England winter last year using just charcoal and my ECB and a wind break.

Get the biggest smoker your willing to pay for! You won't regret it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky