Long weekend ribbing :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1mgd1

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Sudbury, ON, Canada
So in celebration of the long weekend and our Prime Minister allegedly purposefully elbowing an NDP'er in the chest at the House of Commons this week I'm smoking some ribs and trying a couple new things.

First, I came up with a maple rub since my wife wanted some maple flavoured ribs.
Second is smoking with birch.

So it actually all turned out super awesome [emoji]128512[/emoji]

The dry rub was delicious and the birch was actually pretty mild tasting and very pleasant.

The two top racks are made with "Billbo's" dry rub and sauce, the bottom two are the maple rub.

[emoji]128523[/emoji]
Marc

Last edited:
Reactions: redheelerdog
Marc, Those are awesome looking ribs. I really like the color and finish. I bet they were sweet tasting and that sounds great. Keep it going. Thumbs Up

Thanks guys! I found the maple rub was not as sweet as I thought it would be, i did serve them dry though as I wanted to get a feel for my rub and the birch. I found that the flavour of the pork was "nice", almost natural in a sense, delicious for sure, but not in your face. Whereas the ones made with Billbo's rub and sauce are intense and "POW!" like.

Until I get better at this I think birch will be my "go to" wood [emoji]128516[/emoji]

Marc they look good nice color,going to have to get some Birch to try

Richie

It seems to be a safe choice :)
I'm learning quickly that a little can go a LONG way with smoke and have made some unpleasant meals from killing the meat with smoke [emoji]128533[/emoji] The birch seems to be a bit more forgiving, that or I'm actually getting a little better every time I smoke [emoji]128540[/emoji]

Marc

Tasty looking ribs! I've been thinking about a maple brine on some country style or baby backs.

For sure! I was raised around everything maple, and there's no shortage of sugar bushes around these parts so maple syrup and sugar is fairly common. It's even sold on the side of highways in the spring here.

Hi Danny,
That's an excellent question! I like my chicken with a bit of kick so I haven't tried it on it yet...maybe next weekend I'll give it a go! It was great on the pork, and I think with how chicken is easily influenced by other flavours I think it may be a good combo as this rub isn't overbearing. [emoji]128523[/emoji]

Marc

Here's a rub I've experimented with for steak. I've been tweaking this (as my budget allows since strip loin is around $36/Kg around here [emoji]128556[/emoji]) over the past month and I think I've got it to my liking now. The batches I make for this are enough for two strip loins of moderate size but I'm sure it could easily be scaled to larger quantities. The rubs I experiment with are fairly simple, I don't have a ton of experience with them yet so I try to keep them easy [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Steak rub
1tbsp cumin
1tsp chilli powder
1tbsp cracked black pepper
2tbsp kosher salt
1tbsp dried onion flakes
1tbsp granulated garlic

Marc

1MGD1 i am having a hard time finding maple sugar on the shelf at my local grocery stores, i know i can order it. maybe
dannylang
I wonder if you'd have any luck at "health" food stores (although they probably charge an arm and a leg for it)?
The chicken turned out awesome! The onion and cumin were the the most apparent on the taste buds with the maple trailing behind. It was a mild mannered rub which I think would be better suited with maple glaze...I guess I'll have to work on one now [emoji]128523[/emoji]
Mmmmmmmmmm

Marc, the maple and birch combo really looks awesome. The ribs turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

I

Thanks and glad to! Getting more involved in grilling and smoking and working on rubs is becoming a great experience, it's been a great way to bond with my twins too as they really enjoy helping out and learning all the spices and so on and the processes that are involved in coming up with meals. Not bad for a couple of 4yr olds [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Marc

I would think you could order maple syrup from L. L. Bean. I bought some in their store, so I know they have it.

Good luck, Joe

I never thought to check Costco, I usually buy all our maple syrup there as you can't beat the price...half of what you'd pay at the grocery store [emoji]128516[/emoji]

Do you remember how big of a bag you get it in? Last time I bought maple sugar was from "Metro" and I believe 500grams ran me $10 or so [emoji]128556[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky