Long time no post Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

novadoc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
kitchener ontario canada
5lbs venison whole muscle
Cabela's sweet & hot jerky kit

I made a 5lb batch of this previously and the flavor was too weak, so for this batch I decided to add an extra half packet of the seasoning. Have to say that this turned out absolutely perfect, I was hoping it would last long enough to enjoy in the treestand this October but it's not looking good if I keep doing drive-by's on the container..
PXL_20210915_205618400.MP.jpg

Finally got the PID installed on the MES40 and worked like a charm, jerky in at 140° w/ the true north blend puffing in my amzn pellet tay. Bumped temps up to 160 and pulled pieces as they finished.
PXL_20210915_210427369.MP.jpg

5lbs of jalapeno maple going in today then it's on to 40lbs of sticks and summer sausage

PXL_20210916_014733833.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_014808727.MP.jpg

Looks great! Sliced a little to thin to my taste but color is beautiful! Mind to share your recipe? As a matter of fact, 6# of sliced beef is curing right now in my fridge... Will be taking it out from the fridge and in to my dehydrator within next hour or so... This is more Asian style jerky recipe....

Reactions: novadoc
Looks great! Sliced a little to thin to my taste but color is beautiful! Mind to share your recipe? As a matter of fact, 6# of sliced beef is curing right now in my fridge... Will be taking it out from the fridge and in to my dehydrator within next hour or so... This is more Asian style jerky recipe....

Cabela's sweet and hot jerky kit

This is the kit I used, throw out 1 pack of cure and use the 3 packs of seasoning and 2 cure packs to do 10lbs instead of the advertised 15lbs flavour will be much better

Totally agree with being sliced too thin, but with 2 teenage boys I need to do whatever I can to stretch it out.

Thinner jerky seems to give it a bit more chew though when I compare it to the thicker pieces in the batch, either way, thick or thin my belly does not discriminate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky