London Broil last weekend and tri tip right now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bass3859

Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, he is trying to get me hooked. Ken (Seboke) smoked a lot of good meat over the 4th weekend, and I finally caved in and gave it a try.

We had a London Broil sitting in the fridge last weekend, and I said why donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t we smoke it. So I decided to try it. I do not yet have a smoker, but in true McGyver fashion, I devised one out of my Wal-Mart special grill. I dropped some mesquite charcoal on one side of the grill, created a shield with some bricks, and placed the London Broil on the opposite side. My wife had put on a dry rub that she created out of the cabinet, so I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really know what was in it. About 2 hours later, into the foil for about 30 minutes (I had to work that night so I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have as much time as I wanted to). It was just a little over done for me, but for my first shot at smoking, I have to say it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t to bad.

Now, I have about a 2 ½ pound tri tip on my same smoking setup, with Montreal Steak grill mates sprinkled all over it. Shooting for 250 in the grill and pulling it at about 135, foiling it for an hour, then chowing down. Fighting with the temp a little bit, but so far, so good. Here is a Q-view so far. In the first one, you can see my coals in a bread pan that I thought would make a good firebox. It did not, and I abandoned that idea for spreading the coals on the side. That is working a lot better. More to follow.

start711.jpg

cooking711.jpg

Well done Bro! Kinda brings a tear to my eye to know that I directly influenced someone in a positive way towads creating some smoky goodness! He told me he's got his eye on an offset.... Bet the results of the tri-tip will push him over the edge!

I like your innovation, looks real good. I'm in NY near Buffalo and I don't come across many tri-tips. I suppose they're good or you wouldn't be bothering. Anything you can tell me about them?

Glad you are inspired, that could only lead to bigger and better things.

From what I have read and seen, it is a cut from, I think, the bottom of the bottom sirloin. There is 1 per each side of beef. Since it is such a small cut, for a long time, it used to be ground up or cut into cubes for stews and the such.

Personally, it is one of the juiciest cuts of meat I have ever eaten. We normally get steaks (you can usually get 3-4 small steaks from a roast) and grill them. Doesn't take long to cook, and they are fantastic. Again, from what I hear, this particular cut is real common in California. Since I am in Arizona, it is fairly common here as well, but the further east you go, I hear it is more rare to get, although people have said Costco's usually carry them.

I can't wait to try this roast. I just love the steaks, and grilled or broiled roasts as well, so this is bound to be a treat, if I don't ruin it. If you can get some, you have got to try them.

Well, I finally finished my first tri tip roast. Tried to maintain 250 in the grill, and pulled it at just over 140. Took right at 3 hours, then another 30 minutes in foil then wrapped in a towel.

This cut, for me was cooked to perfection. I used regular charcoal with mesquite, and occasionally dropped some mesquite chips onto the charcoal to give a little more smoke now and then. Since my wife just told me that smoked meat isn't one of her favorites, it actually worked out good. Just a slight smoky flavor that was not overpowering. It ended up for me as probably the best tri tip I have ever had. Meat was very tender, juicy, and by the time I cut it up, a good medium. Thanks, Ken, for the help. Here is the final product.

done711.jpg

sliced711.jpg

sliced1711.jpg

Great job Jim, that looks really good!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Now you'll be lookin for the grand opening of Smokers-R-Us. You'll be signing up for smokers anonomous ("Hi. I'm Jim, and I smoke meat"). You'll never view the grocery store in the same light - you'll peruse then entire meat department if you're only going there for milk. You'll actually read the grocery ads (meat pages). You'll take more and more pictures of meat. Your neighbors will poke thier heads over your fence to see what is creating "that smell". I encourage all this behavior, but Wendi will think you're nuts.

Hey Bass
MMMMMM. Looks good. Looks like you cut with the grain. Imagine cutting against it. I have 2 in the smoker with a little salmon right now. Trying them with a strip of raw bacon on top. Man, I love this stuff. My wife raves because I do the prep and cooking. Don't feel guilty about the drinks during.
Thanks for the pics. Smoke on
3putt

Bass,
I got turned on to Tri-Tips in early June, get 'em at the local Costco. I usually pull mine at between 130-135 and let it rest for 1/2 hour. Gets me a perfect medium rare.
Wife thinks I'm a genius..for a change. Good work!

tri tip is one of my favorite cuts so far. if you ever shop at costco, the pre-marinaded tri tips put out by Morton's of Omaha are outstanding. a little more expensive than just buying straight tri tip, but the marinade really tenderizes them. i cover in mustard and then shake on some montreal, and they are amazing. it just melts in your mouth. looks good though!

kyle

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky