Local Grocery One Day Sale; Boston Butts $0.88/#!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Oh- boudin is on the list too!!! And this salami Cajuneric Cajuneric made looks fabulous!!

My cousin was telling me about this salami as he lives in Oregon...then 2 days later Eric posts the video...gotta make it now! LOL!

Reactions: tbern

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
Got another round of andouille on deck for this weekend. I have 50# of pork chunks chilling in the fridge. Will grind, season and stuff this afternoon, smoke tomorrow. I also have 20# 3/4" of pork steaks with salt and cure#1 on them dry curing for tasso. I probably won't be able to smoke those until next weekend though. No worries, that's the great thing about the equalibrium cure method....

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
very interesting video!! gotta love chocolate in a salami! thanks for sharing the video and good luck making yours!!
Thanks tbern. I have to order some of the ingredients, so this one won't happen with this round of pork butts. But it is on deck and will be made next chance I get!
Holy cow! At that price I'd had them just drop ship it to my house!
Jim
I know...right! I might have went a little crazy...LOL!

Reactions: JLeonard

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
This is why I LOVE my outhouse style smokehouse for smoking sausages!!
IMG_20221009_122033.jpg

Probe 1 - Top of the smokehouse at the flew vent
Probe 2 - Bottom of the hanging sausages middle of the smokehouse about 16" above the flame to monitor for flare ups.
Probe 3- Sausage temp with probe inserted in top of a link hanging on the poles
Probe 4 -Bottom smokehouse temp. Inline vertically with the top probe, to the side and 4" above the C.I. pan of wood chunks.

The three smokehouse probes stay within 3*F of each other and as they slowly rise, the meat probe just tracks right along trailing by 25-30*F. I just check the flew visually for smoke about every 30 minutes or so....add more chunks every 2 hours and let it roll....

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
Awesome temp control with your smokehouse!! Within 3 degrees is very, very good!!
Yep. Thanks! I had to make some modifications after first build, but she's a sweet rig to smoke sausages in now!!

Just pulled the second batch of andouille...
IMG_20221009_160017.jpg

9.5 hours....slow and steady....

Dave in AZ

Meat Mopper
Oct 2, 2022
Phx, AZ
Great price! I saw Frys had butts at 1.79 today, went and bought 3 big ones, 34 lbs or so. I thought I got a great deal! Well, it was a great deal, but yours was amazing ;)

I cut off the 3 coppas, going to make buckboard bacon. Ground up rest, 17 lbs or so. Also scored some ground veal for $7 a pound, so was going to make weisswurst, and then some milk and egg bratwurst. But now you've got me thinking some andouille!

Reactions: indaswamp

Latest posts

Hot Threads