Linking in Three's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
A few were asking how I linked the hot dogs I posted so I thought I'd try and demonstrate. It's only hard to do the first time after that  it's easy

Start with you rope of sausage. form your first two links with a couple pinches( no twist necessary) then tie the casing at the start of the rope to the end of the second dog. leave a few inches of casing when ya start so it's easy to tie

4cb92454_IMG_0282.jpg

now lay the rope over the pinch between dog 1 and 2.

df0a62b1_IMG_0283.jpg

and pinch your third dog at the same spot.

Here's where it gets tricky;

Reach through the center of the three dogs and pull a loop through.

456cb260_IMG_0284.jpg

lay that too the right in the pic it form the next link in the chain. roll it all over so the long rope is on top of the chain, and lay it over the second set of two dogs

3cea2a3a_IMG_0285.jpg

then just keep doing the same procedure till ya run out of sausage.

ef16a291_IMG_0286.jpg

I hope this helps more then it confuses, once ya get the hang of it it's really fast.

Last edited:
Sweet I have always wanted to know how to do this. Man this is still a bit confusing. We need a play by play video or something. haha I will have to read this a few times and see if I can make sense of it. Thanks.

Yep I'm confused a little more studying is in order. If I had some sausage in front of me to practice on it would probably be much easier. . What is the main advantage of doing this method? Takes up less room in the smoker?

Thanks Dan for the info and Ross those videos are great - man that first guy is a twistin machine

Yea I must fill my casing to full because if I were to go that fast as those two guys and twist them mine would be blowing out all over. I will have to try and not fill them so full next time. But other than looking cool is there a real benefit to linking them this way?

The ones I do like this are cooked in water so they fit in the pot better. But it's fast too  and they don't unravel ...ever!

Thanks for the video's , that first guy is super fast and I can't tell what he's doing,   the second one is how I do it, I'm just a light speed slower

Last edited:
Great "how-to" Dan--Thanks.

I didn't think you would hang them in a smoker like that, because they should not be against each other in the smoker.

But like you say, this would be great for cooking them.

Thanks again,

Bear

Yep I'm confused a little more studying is in order. If I had some sausage in front of me to practice on it would probably be much easier. . What is the main advantage of doing this method? Takes up less room in the smoker?
Do  ya got a piece of rope laying around? that's how I figured it out the first time.

I didn't think you would hang them in a smoker like that, because they should not be against each other in the smoker.

But like you say, this would be great for cooking them.

Thanks again,

Bear
Yea that was the part I didn't get. I didn't figure you would be able to hang them in the smoker because of all the weight as well as all of them would be touching which you wouldn't want. I can see how this would work good for fresh brat style sausage that you are going to boil of especially if you were selling them in the store you could just cut off the amount the customer wanted. They sure look cool though. I think I will have to do a little practicing on some rope like you said.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky