Like Ron, a 7 lb butt for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pork' started by teleburst, Aug 7, 2008.

1. teleburst

teleburst Meat Mopper

Picked up a 6.9 lb butt tonight.

Ever the weirdo, I thought I'd experiment a bit and rubbed the butt with coconut milk. Then I opened a can of jalapenos in adobo sauce and took some of the sauce and rubbed it on top of the coconut milk.

Then, I hit it with salt and pepper, paprika, cumin, a little chili powder and then finally, my patented rub, which has been in the open air for a couple of weeks and is getting quite mellow, which is why I added some of the key components separately just to bump it back up a bit.

It's wrapped up in the 'fridge until tomorrow morning.

I'll probably start another thread with my usual fuzzy cameraphone Q-view.

I'm still thinking about whether to sear or not. Since I seared the first time, I might go without this time just to see how it goes. I'll probably go ahead and sear it anyway though.

And, as I was driving home, I found a huge pile of Metro-induced wood chips from some power line tree trimming. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but I smelled it and it's not pine <chuckle>. It might very well be maple, so I'm going to test it out before I put the butt on tomorrow. I'm just about out of hickory chips and they're starting to get scarce this time of year (WalMart was out of them). I've still got quite a bit of mesquite, but I don't want to use all mesquite. So I'll check out the chips and see what I get.

Once again, this is going to be a bit of a wild card improv sort of thing. We'll see what happens...

2. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SEAR, damit, I forgot, I was so anxious to get smokin'. LOL

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a plan be sure to get us some Qview