Lifting a 400 lb smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I need to lift my 400 lb RF smoker up a little (1-2" on the right side so that grease will flow down into the drain hole on the left side.

Any thoughts or idea's.. Too heavy to lift by hand, was thinking of some sort of jack to get it up.

Thanks DanBono

View media item 458538

What about inserting a drip tray in the bottom of the cooking chamber?  The lower bracket that hold the drip tray could channel the grease into the hole.

just a thought

Can change the wheel sizes on one end or the other. Or maybe a couple of wooden ramps and roll the end you want to raise up on it.

Maybe you have a neighbor with a strong young man who lift up each side while you put blocks under it. 

Hmmmmm,  I think Tropic's idea is way too easy 
icon14.gif

Last edited:
You really don't need much change 1/4" per foot is a good figure. Put a piece of 3/4" plywood down and roll the two wheels onto it. Good to go.

If you put it in my garage with the drain facing the door it would drain great. I'd even let you come over and cook us Q!

Hi All Would it matter much when finally lift the smoker instead of it being level it will tilt away from the firebox side. It is a RF smoker.

I thought I saw once on Pitmasters  tilting the pit one way or the other is better for smoking?

Thanks Dan

If you search online for "floor locks cart"  you'll find no end of foot pedal locks that lift one end of a cart to keep it from moving.  Some are fixed height and some are adjustable.  I suspect you'd be best off with two adjustable ones as they'd give you the most flexibility down the road.  If the smoker weighs 400 lbs and all you want to do is lift one end you can buy what you need pretty inexpensively.

Lance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky