Let's see your Maters!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kajun

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Panama City, Florida
This is the first time i've ever planted anything..so figured i'd start off small with some tomatoes and maybe some peppers and cuke's......i planted 4 in 5gl buckets and 6 in my front flower garden lol...its ok though i'm in northwest Florida better known as "lower alabama" so these rednecks around here won't mind lol ....i can't wait for some homegrown tomato/mayo and BLT sandwiches!!

i got 2 better bush's, 1 park whopper, 1 better boy and 6 big boys planted...

here's some Mater-view...

dscf0004dv4.jpg

dscf0009uc5.jpg

Hey FL neighbor, to the north!

Nice idea placing them in 5-gal buckets. I've got a few of those laying around and had a plan to grow some tomatoes and zucchini this spring. Thanks for posting the pics!!

Looks good. Don't forget to have some holes in the bottom of the 5 gal buckets. Don't want to waterlog the plants ya know.

geob

geob..i have some holes towards the bottom..from the holes down is a 3 inch layer of rocks for a water reservior..on top of the rocks i have a couple layers of newspaper...then from the holes up is my soil......i found this method on a tomato growing forum and it sounded good so i'm giving it a shot..hope it works...so far so good though :)

sumo..howdy neighbor...yea give the bucket thing a try...my yard is mostly sand so buckets and a flower garden is my best bet :)

Nope, haven't even tilled the garden over yet. Maybe one day during the week will get it tilled.
Andy.

Looks good. Can't wait to till and plant here in a couple weeks. If you think 10 tomato vines is starting small, you have a surprise comming. I usually plant 8 vines, which is enough to feed the five of us anytime we want tomatoes, plus fresh salsa all summer, plus can about 15-20 quarts before I get tired of messing with them and start letting them go.

What are the plant shadows cannibis? You know potatoes grow good in a bucket or barrel and instead of having to dig em up just dump em. Ahh new potatoes and peas with allittle bacon. Still too wet around here to till. EX MILTON FLA> RESIDENT

Kajun you said the rocks and paper are under the holes in your bucket? Are you saying you put your bucket on top of the paper and rocks? Seems odd to me. Here at our place we use 20 gallon feed buckets. We put drain holes in the bottom of the buckets. At the bottom we put a layer of paper, a layer of rocks, then a layer of cans or plastic coke bottle to take up space, then a layer of paper and finally the dirt. We do this for the tomatoes and peppers. We still have a week to plant, but when we do I'll post pics of the different layers and finished look. But we all have our ways.

Also, I am a retired Deputy Sheriff, those shadows didn't look like cannabis to me either. They look like flowers. So my wife wants to know what kind and why you didn't take a photo of them for her.

David..yup the rocks are level with the hole...with a couple layers of newspaper , then soil on top....this creates a small reservoir of water...dont know how good this idea is but found it on a gardening site and the guy swears by it.....we'll see though....

i have no idea what the flowers are...all i know is they were too bushy and i had fun with my machete lol here's a pic of it...

dscf0011qq1.jpg

Excellent idea with the buckets! I have a very limited backyard since 85% of it is occupied by my pool, so my wife will be all over this - especially since they can be moved.

Good to see some other Panhandlers on the board - I'm originally from Marianna & my brother lives in Lynn Haven. Amazing how different it is up there from Tampa.

OK, here is my maters. I've planted 8 this year. Grape, Patio and Julliettes. I handle the small maters (for salads, salsa) and my neighbor grows the larger ones (burgers, sauces), then we swap.
You need to find these Julliettes. WOW. Four of those plants and you are giving them away....they really produce.

i allways had good luck with better boy and try sprinkling a little epson salt around them , no pics here too early i'm gonna plant any day now gl

Oleander makes a great tea. If you are ready to depart this earth that is.

I tried the tomato in 5 gal buckets two years running because we have all the different wilt diseases so bad here. No real luck. Fertilizer issues, water issues, deer issues. I got a few good ones, but not worth the trouble. I even went so far as to rig up a drip irrigation system that premixed fertilizer water the last year. Good luck.

This year, I'm thinking of trying to grow squash and cucumbers hanging from a deck box and growing on a trellis. I can't plant anything edible in the yard because the deer take care of it for me.

I just built my second garden setup. We have deer around here also. So far they have left my setups alone. This is my newer one, alittle higher than the first.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky