Let Me Cheer You UP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Well Happy Thursday Great Smoking Cookies and Here's To Today!

So many of us can weep when weather turns foul.

And/or get down when something exciting isn't yet happening in business, love, food meals or whatever it is.

YET, if we have something to eat, and something to drink, we indeed are so lucky!

Yesterday it was "just me" (husband on the road) and so I seared a simple ostrich steak (my favorite food on earth, and maybe cobia fish is next), and fanned it - nice and rare in the middle like ahi tuna - over salad and drank a wonderful wine!

When the washing machine repair man came by and fixed our appliances, I then insisted that he try some ostrich steak and he enjoyed it!

We ended up having this spectacular conversation about a myriad of fish!

Then I ate a bison steak at night (sloppy quickie plating, as I was not planning on even doing it really) but it was delicious!

And then today I grilled bluefish that was superb!

And paired with Whitehall Lane's "Tre Leoni" red (which I love) and some grilled okra salad!

And I did realize, that if you have food, and wine, and something to smoke, grill, sauté, and eat - and then someone to share all that with - EVEN if it's forcing it on the repair man and/or sharing it on a smoker site too (smiles) but life is a happy thing. Food is a happy thing. And wine is a happy thing.

Here is to that!

If I have made even a tiny "better" bit into your day, how lucky am I!

Cheers! - Leah 

Reactions: Bearcarver
Yep
icon_exclaim.gif
 Got my day started off good
icon14.gif
  I really enjoy your post. . . always a pleasure to look through your Q-view . But I get so darn hungry when I'm finished...

Keep it up Leah , you're inspirational . . .
first.gif

later ,

Beautiful meals as always Leah! I've never tried ostrich but may have to now. Have a great day!
i can't help but picture the lonely Maytag repairman from the commercials in the 70's. I guess if you'd been on his route he would have been in a much better mood.

Last edited:
Thank you Oldschoolbbq! If I make you hungry, happy, and/or ready to enjoy your day, then how fantastic!

And thank you as well, David! And welcome to the group! We have an absolute ball here! REALLY! Some hilarious and happy and foodie-esque smoking and drinking times and in a healthful and happy way. Welcome aboard!

Many thanks, Andrew! Indeed, the look on the repair man's face, (as I raved and ranted about how he MUST try the ostrich) was so precious and he was a good sport!

Regardless, I am alas launching my upbeat career in the new year - as a motivational speaker albeit all about food and wine being your friend and not the enemy that people think.

Imagine, the "Tony Robbins" of food if you will...Stay tuned!

And thanks for being so supportive and amazing! I am grateful to be here!!! Cheers! - Leah

Wow!!!

Everything looks Fantastic, as usual Leah !!!
drool.gif
--------------
points.gif

You sure eat some Great stuff & quite a variety Too!!
icon14.gif

I haven't had Ostrich for many years, and I remember the first time---I couldn't believe it was from a Bird!!!
eek.gif

Great Stuff!!!
drool.gif

Thanks for sharing!!

Bear

Thank you Bear!!!!

You've had some great ostrich/bar stories and so I know that you can get the allure!!!

So good!

I still find that cut and kind of steak to be better than any steak, although 'any steak' is still, pretty good! Smiles.

Great hearing from you! I send good cheer!

And Foamheart, thank you!

I used to make pate with emu, rhea, and also ostrich (using the livers & also hearts of each) and can only separate the three by the following: the Rhea is oilier, the Emu is dryer, and the Ostrich is perfect!!!!

Imagine the nicest seared steak - rare in the middle - and some tender, flavorful, structure...a bit of sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil...it's beautiful stuff!

Meanwhile, happy all! Here's to making today absolutely amazing!!!

Cheers! - Leah

I have a question about your bluefish. Even as a kid I'd heard bluefish was fishy tasting. As a boater and fisherman, I've gotten loads of bluefish and had never eaten any BECAUSE ITS FISHY TASTING, so they say.

Tried bluefish about 10 years ago... Yup! It's fishy tasting. I have had all kinds of Atlantic coast fish from north to south that we've caught. Always great.... Are you doing something to bluefish I should know about in preparing it?

Hi Knuckle47 and I'm delighted you asked!

I am always AMAZED to hear people say they don't or won't try bluefish, as I think it is one of the very best fish in the world.

I would list my favorites (as far as regular fish versus seafood or mollusk does go) as Cobia, then Bluefish, and then Barramundi.

I love every fish mind you, but those three are top to me and especially the grilled skin!

As for that deep oily fish which many people fear; it MUST be fresh!

I buy frozen fish often but learned the hard way that bluefish is one fish that does NOT taste well after having been frozen.

Similarly, you don't want 3 day old bluefish. It has to be fresher than fresh, but it is amazing, affordable, HEALTHFUL and out of this world!

If getting super fresh bluefish, and mopping it through grapeseed oil only, grilling - a good huge slab could grill over hot coals, on a sprayed grill grate for 4 minutes on the flesh and then 6-7 minutes on the skin side as to crisp up that skin really wonderfully (most delicious part) and then add sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil.

That's it.

Simple, healthful and sensational!

I also make incredible bluefish pate, that is healthful and yet tastes just like a nice chicken or pork or rabbit pate even and is a treat!

(Puree the grilled or smoke piece of fish in a blender with a barely sauteed shallot or two - that was sauteed in grapeseed oil for a few seconds - and a little clutch of fresh tarragon and 1 mini airplane bottle of Cognac).

Chill that mixture overnight and add sea salt and black pepper to the top in the morning.

Serve with pate accoutrements - capers, Dijon, toast of your choice, boiled egg, cornichons, and red onion. Make little open faced sandwiches and pick and taste and enjoy with a bottle of wine!

So simple and yet so terrific!

And while our beloved Chef Jimmy (JJ) doesn't like bluefish, I STILL would take on the daunting challenge, yes, of making him MY super simple bluefish, and seeing, perhaps with wine plying involved too, if I could kindly change his mind! Smiles. As bluefish is THAT good and I think people just need to have it presented very simply and very well.

Hope this helped?

Cheers!!!!!!!! - Leah

.... What time is dinner?  Thank you for the recipe.

Actually the bluefish we get is usually within a few hours of catch because we are out on the ocean regularly.  While we are not specifically looking for bluefish, when a school is in the area... The resulting action is near mayhem as we can clearly take in a dozen good-sized bluefish in a very few minutes.  Since we do not necessarily enjoy bluefish, we move in for the catch to break the monotony... But release them.

Locally we catch fluke, kind of like a flounder, cod, Whiting, Seabass, occasional mahi-mahi, tautog and the elusive... Very elusive, striped bass.  A friend of mine who travels substantially more offshore brought in a swordfish, and a 290 pound tuna.  Both were outstanding.  On a freak trip 25 miles out one day, my nephew a giant bluefish almost 4 feet long.  Once we got it to the boat, it turned out to be a baby Mako... We photographed it and tossed it back in before it finished consuming the rest of our equipment and the back of the boat.  That fish was almost as energetic as my dogs.

On a serious note, I think it's ADHD. My interests are so scattered that I get heavily involved in things to an extreme and find that the time available to do them shrinks. Have not been on the boat twice this year but...my new smoker is almost done. Should have never started welding :biggrin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky