Lessons we've learned quing in sub zero temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bud's bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Ada, MI
So, the super bowl bbq that started on Saturday night at 11:30 pm and ended about 4PM on Sunday transpired in -15 degree wind chill Michigan Winter weather. These are some of the lessons we learned ;

1) Always have an extra tank of propane
2) The apparent smoke plumes that seem to last for hours is mostly the water dish evaporating and showing up in the extreme cold - not so much smoke!
3) You go through a lot of water compared to summer weather
4) Get lots of sleep the evening before
5) Plan ahead with tongs, foil, wood chunks, spray bottles, etc. to minimize the opening of the GOSM door.

The GOSM did perform in an outstanding way and the product was great!!

I hear that! Got faked out twice last weekend thinking I was good and the temps dropped to 150 degrees!

"The apparent smoke plumes that seem to last for hours is mostly the water dish evaporating and showing up in the extreme cold - not so much smoke!"

I started with twice as much coal as normal to get my smoker up to temp. I was cooking within an hour!

Same temps here in PA, 15 below wind chill. We had a big party at our VFW. Big potluck dinner, my contributions were hamburger barbecue and a chocolate fountain. Too cold for me to be outside...pulled pork sure would have been a great addition though!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky