Latest batch of Lox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Got one last nice cold weekend, so I took the opportunity to turn the last 3 salmon fillets I got from a coworker into lox. Used the exact same method as last time, with the addition of adding dill to the wet brine and sprinkling it with dill before the vacuum seal. I wasn't sure why one of my pieces of salmon was a lot lighter and softer in color/texture. When I showed the pic to my coworker, he said "oh, looks like you got two sockeyes and a Coho." So that explains it! I'll be curious to see what the Coho is like compared to Sockeye.
Lox picture.JPG

Attachments

• Lox picture.JPG
    Lox picture.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Lox picture.JPG
    Lox picture.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 28
If it’s anything like the other batches it will be great! It seriously rivals any lox I’ve had anywhere else....NYC might be the exception...but that’s understandable.

Those are some nice looking fish, can't wait to see the finished product.

Chris

That was the finished product just before I vac sealed them

Sorry my bad with the clean pan and fresh dill I thought they were before pics.

Chris

OMG!! I hope you remembered to cold smoke those pieces before you vacuum sealed them up. Look great!!

3 hours is perfect using the Amazen tray and Alder. I gave some to the coworker who gave me the fish. He thought it was perfect. I've eaten a lot of lox, and it rivals anything I've gotten at most stores or restaurants.....actually I'd say it's better than most....except for when I go to Ess-A-Bagel in NYC!

Usually I just set the fish on a cookie rack and the pellicle forms at room temp in about an hour. This batch was stubborn and the pellicle wasn't forming fast, so I took a small fan and got it blowing over the fish. In another hour it was tacky. So two hours in total I think. I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm not quite sure if I'm exactly getting the pellicle the way it should be.

3 hours is perfect using the Amazen tray and Alder. I gave some to the coworker who gave me the fish. He thought it was perfect. I've eaten a lot of lox, and it rivals anything I've gotten at most stores or restaurants.....actually I'd say it's better than most....except for when I go to Ess-A-Bagel in NYC!

Usually I just set the fish on a cookie rack and the pellicle forms at room temp in about an hour. This batch was stubborn and the pellicle wasn't forming fast, so I took a small fan and got it blowing over the fish. In another hour it was tacky. So two hours in total I think. I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm not quite sure if I'm exactly getting the pellicle the way it should be.
I also used amazn tray with sawdust, I have used alder but was a lighter smoke than I wanted. This tine I used mix of hickory and apple w/good results, family loved it on Easter w/ onion bagels and cream cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky