1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Last Night's Supper.... kinda different :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowgirl, Aug 12, 2010.

1. cowgirl

cowgirl Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

I've made this before but not sure if I ever posted it here...

I made some Dishwasher Fish for supper last night. It's one way for me to eat when I'm too busy to cook.

Used 1/2 cup of rice, 1/2 cup of broth, minced onion and some Seafood Splash..

topped with some mystery fillets from my freezer, sprinkled with lemon pepper and added butter.

sealed tight with foil and a lid

placed on the top rack of the dishwasher..

washed my dishes and waited....

then

the poached fish and rice...
    sprinkled with green onions to make it look pretty...

it was flaky and tender...

I loved the Seafood Splash in the mix... will do that again next time..

Thanks for looking!

/ message sig

2. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    sounds like a horible thing to do...................

.....................but comming from you it must be good. [​IMG]

3. cowgirl

lol   It's tasty!! [​IMG]    Thanks Rob! [​IMG]

4. shooter1

shooter1 Smoking Fanatic

I 've heard about it but this is the first time I've seen it done. I am impressed, but I am always impressed with your posts. Looks great as always Cowgirl!

cowgirl likes this.
  5. scarbelly

scarbelly Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Jeannie that is awesome - so do you wait for the entire wash and dry cycle or just the wash cycle?

I think we have some mystery fillets in the freezer too LOL

6. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If I put that next to my hat that I'm washing, which will smell worse?  (My hat from the fish or the fish from my hat?) :)

7. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That is pretty cool! I have heard of it but never tried it or knew anyone that did, until now. You go cowgirl. So have you cooked anything on the engine of your tractor yet?

8. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

WOW, sorta speechless....LOL  Looks great!

9. dforbes

dforbes Meat Mopper

I have also heard of this and wondered how it was done. Looks great except for the rice. Had to much as a kid and I just can't even stand the thought of it. thanks for the lesson on dishwasher fish. I will have to try it sometime.

10. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Let me get this one right the dishwasher fish dinner. I have seen it all first I thought that the tire rim egg benefits were pretty darn good too. Now whats next the tractor motor like Cheryl says. But you can bet of me checking out just about anything that you post. You are definitely one of my favorites here. You are a real imspration to me

11. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I think cowgirl is a real inspiration to all of us!

12. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Thanks for the good lookin how to. I remember the first time I saw this done. It was on the "Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson back in the late '60s. Vincent Price was on and cooked a nice looking piece of fish in the dishwasher during the show. He didn't have the benefit of a plastic container, just wrapped really well in tin foil.

Thanks for the memory[​IMG]

13. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I make fish like that all the time but instead of putting it in the dishwasher I put it in the microwave. It takes about 3 minutes and its done depending on the size of your fish. If you have small panfish fillets probably less time. We put onions, butter and spices then cover with a lid or glad wrap and throw it in the microwave. We love it that way.

14. cowgirl

Thanks everybody! 

It's tasty and easy to do.. Kind of like filling the UDS with food and coming back later to eat. It's set it and forget it.

I like being able to do other things while supper cooks. [​IMG]

Scarbelly I do use the whole cycle and the heated dry cycle too.

Cliff, that sounds great! Wrapping in foil with a few seasonings would insure a good seal too.  My big brother used to make this when he was a bachelor.  He's the one that got me started cooking fish this way.

Shoot it's not quite as weird as my drill press tortillas.. [​IMG]

Thanks again folks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  15. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor did that a couple times, but he didn't wrap it, and he put it on scrub cycle.[​IMG]

His didn't turn out as good as yours did! [​IMG]

Bear

16. cowgirl

LOL.... That would be interesting.. Thanks for the laugh Bear!  [​IMG]

17. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

First of all.... WOW! As always you have opened my eyes to something new...... and my wife is gonna really think I have flipped when I try this!

Second: ...."drill press tortilla"?..... do tell! [​IMG]

18. cowgirl

19. fourthwind

fourthwind Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great!  can't believe the drill press tortilla's.  Your ingenuity is amazing! 

20. dforbes

dforbes Meat Mopper

If your mind works that good when your sleeping, I can't imagine what you think about durring waking hours. Great job, the things I see here never cease to amaze me.