Last Night's Ribs w/ Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acemakr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A couple of days ago, Jim asked what's cooking this weekend. I couldn't wait until then. Here's the setup.

Here's the star fresh from the frige.

Here's star, ready to eat.

Now, some you know from my past ramblings (the ones that get to the end of my post) that I like to share lessons learned. Last night was no exception.

In spite of howling winds, Lil' Puffy (my ECB) held up well and the smoke went pretty good. Two hours in the heat au natural, two hours in foil will a bit of apple juice for moisture, and another 30 to 45 minutes bare naked over the heat. Tried keeping the temp as close to 230 as I could but did have a couple of spikes. My only mistake was having them finish before we were ready to eat. I put them into a sheet pan on some parchment paper, lightly covered them, and put them into the over set at 190. I learned that even a sponge will dry out after 60 to 90 minutes in a 'warm' over.

So, next time, we either eat when the foods ready or I try to do a better job guestimating when dinner will be served.

looks good, nice looking patio setup as well.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Next time if you need to hold them for a little while you could try wrapping them in foil, and tossing in a cooler, much like the way folks do butts. They will remain moist, and hot.

I do that with butts and never gave it a thought. Geez, the bride even went out a few days ago to Ace Mart and scored a 500' roll of 18" HD aluminum foil.

It's getting harder teaching this old dog new tricks.

someone gave me that tip when I was asking about holding ribs for maybe an hour before serving,

I tried it, pulled the ribs a little before I usually would 10-15 minutes(since they would continue to cook from the residual heat a little bit from beign wrapped), it worked ok.

My ribs are usually finished about an hour or 2 before we eat, and I always foil and throw in the cooler with some towels and whatever else was smoked that day. They always stay moist and hot for at least 2 hours.

Instead of doing the normal naked/foiled/naked routine, try smoking them naked/foiled, then toss them in the cooler. When ready to eat, throw them back in or in the oven for a few minutes to firm them up. This is how I do it and it always turns out well. I usually go 3.5 hours naked, 1 foiled, and then .5 or so in a 200 degree oven or on the grill for a few minutes.

Looks good though regardless! I am sure they tasted just fine!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky