Last Minute Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gunslinger, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Well I improvised with my unfinished smoker last Monday and smoked an 8 lb butt and 5 fatties.
    My biological father was visiting from AZ and he wanted BBQ. So I had to be creative at midnight. I had nothing thawed and don't like doing it the microwave, so off to the grocery store I went. The nearest one to me that is open 24 hours is 37 miles away. I found a really nice 8 pounder, came home, cut it in half (had to cheat as time was of the escence), slapped on some mustard and consulted ole Tony for some seasoning. Woke up at 5 a.m. started my fire and was cooking by 8 a.m. Cooked in the neighborhood of 275º ( again....time), covered at 170º and removed at 205º at 3 p.m. I then immediately pulled and dinner was ready at 4 p.m. Served on onion rolls with side sauce.
    I also threw the beans on the smoker about an hour before removing the butts. I put the juice from the butts and a handful of the bark in with them and smoked about another half hour.
    Smoke penetration was not as deep as I like but all turned out fantastic and the beans were the best yet.
    I wish I would have taken pictures of the entire meal, but I lost track of things as I was pressed for time. Dad had to get granny back to the home before they called the law and reported a kidnapping, or elderlyknapping or something of the sorts.
    [​IMG]

2. smokincowboy

smokincowboy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

some good looking grub... did granny like it

3. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice bark!! (High praise from a cat!)

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

4. hillbillysmoker

hillbillysmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Drooling here. Nice looking bark. I love butts pulled or pinched...lol

5. Granny did like it. In fact it was the most she had eaten in a long time. We have been afraid that she was starving to death.

6. tonto1117

tonto1117 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good!!! Great to see you smokin again Gunny.[​IMG] I know it was killing ya there for awhile.

7. tonto1117

tonto1117 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

ROFLMAO.....HEHEHEHEHE[​IMG]

8. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Nice to see you posting smoked yummies again Tom!

9. Well, it's temporary. I had to do a bit of jury rigging to use it.
    Been so busy with Spring stuff, I haven't had time to work on it. Gonna take a break soon though and focus solely on the smoker for a few days.