Last Harvest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rivet

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 25, 2008
The "Show Me" state
Today was the last harvest from our garden~ the Marconi Peppers and the Purple Bush Beans.

The peppers we'll eat tonight, rubbed in evoo and baked with kosher salt. The bush beans were pulled, broken and canned by Mrs Rivet.

Managed to get 14 full pints to can and a huge pot to cook tonight too. It wasn't that big of a bush bean garden, but they were good this year...

Here they are, just popping as I post this
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif
always a good sound!

Just water and Kosher salt this time, no onion. We're ready for ol' man winter. Thanks for lookin' !

Looks Good...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Did they change colors when you canned them?

Nothing like those home canned veggies in the middle of winter.
Had to look up what macaroni peppers were, how did you enjoy them?
Going to start ordering seeds for next years garden and want to try several different peppers.
Burpee has giant macaroni peppers so if you would recommend them I'll order a pack.

Love the beans/pepperes rivet and yes the popping as lids seal is music to our collective ears.

I will have peppers another few weeks,always pull my japs nov.1-8th.

Onion sets are sprouting and broccoli and brussels,peas still kicking...

It is a bit sad to pull our gardens,but we can get to thinking of next year!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Your garden has to be one of the best I have ever seen. I really enjoyed watching the changes and harvest through out the season. Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to next seasons.

Yes they do, and that's the neatest thing to me about this type of green bean. It is called a Purple Bush Bean, and very popular in the South where I grew up. It's a short plant that gives long purple colored beans (on the outside) and are vibrant green on the inside when you break them. You can see that in the pre-canned pic. Once they are cooked, the purple skin color goes away and turns green just like a regular green bean. The best thing about these is that they taste so much better than a regular, "northern" green bean. They have a rich "green-beanie" flavor that stays with them even after canning.

Marconi peppers are an Italian heirloom sweet bell pepper. They are generally thin skinned, medium walled, long green peppers. Their taste is unbeatable. Incredible, even after grilling over a fire. We cook them all summer long (when still green) by rubbing them in evoo and slapping them on the grill with the steaks or burgers. A dash of salt and you are in heaven!

They eventually turn red and are even tastier. When red, their sweetness has an after-bite that reminds me of a mild, sweet paprika. Very good stuff.

The peppers get about 9 inches long, 2 to 3 wide at the shoulders.

A few years back we first tried them and won't plant any other since. Highly recommend these, Jim!

You have a awesome garden John. How big is it? I wish it would be worth the effort up here to garden like that. But we already have had a dozen hard frosts.
Hey tell ya what I will exchange some snow for a jar of those beans
My snow garden is thriving!!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky