Last BBQ competition of 2019

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I participated in what will likely be my last competitive cook in 2019 last Saturday.

I cooked ribs and pork butt for the 5th Annual Magneto MC BBQ cook-off and veterans party.

Competition is as enjoyable as it is frustrating and tiring. I was at the pit cooking for 11 hours to get a 4th in ribs and 4th in pork shoulder. After that I was beat. I slept 15 hours when I got back home. Wow....

I thought my ribs turned out like shit. I can't believe I got 4th. It is really sad because two weeks prior, I nailed my rib recipe and thought I had this one in the bag.

My pork shoulder was fantastic in flavor but was overcooked. :( I will have to work on getting the money muscle to the right temp next year.

Sarina, my Stump's Baby performed flawlessly. The low temps early were giving other pit masters all kinds of troubles. One guy with a huge home built offset couldn't keep his pit up to temp.

I am looking forward to competing again next year and I will be coming out of the gates hungry.....

JC :emoji_cat:

I can imagine that Stumps holds temp in pretty cold weather. I smoke in my 270 smoker year round in Ohio. Love insulated cabinets.

Reactions: JC in GB
I participated in what will likely be my last competitive cook in 2019 last Saturday.

I cooked ribs and pork butt for the 5th Annual Magneto MC BBQ cook-off and veterans party.

Competition is as enjoyable as it is frustrating and tiring. I was at the pit cooking for 11 hours to get a 4th in ribs and 4th in pork shoulder. After that I was beat. I slept 15 hours when I got back home. Wow....

I thought my ribs turned out like shit. I can't believe I got 4th. It is really sad because two weeks prior, I nailed my rib recipe and thought I had this one in the bag.

My pork shoulder was fantastic in flavor but was overcooked. :( I will have to work on getting the money muscle to the right temp next year.

Sarina, my Stump's Baby performed flawlessly. The low temps early were giving other pit masters all kinds of troubles. One guy with a huge home built offset couldn't keep his pit up to temp.

I am looking forward to competing again next year and I will be coming out of the gates hungry.....

Hang in there and keep working on your craft and you will kick their butt next year.

Biggest problem with competition or even a potluck is taste of the judges.
Never done a competition, but I used to supply for potlucks and other gatherings. Some of it wasn't my better attempts and it still got lots of thumbs up.
Still haven't figured out what happened between success and epic failures when I don't change anything

Nice job and congratulations on placing JC.
Point for sure

Chris

2 - 4th place finishes sounds pretty good to me!
Congrats!!
Al

Yeah, it was great. I love competitive BBQ. Usually I am really only competing with myself and letting the judges sort out who got the best cook.

Going to be doing more competitions for sure.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky