Large (for me) variety of cheeses!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcgregormx

Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
SLC, UT
Well, I did my second batch of cheese, and with this batch I invited friends and family to bring their cheese over. The types in there are: Cheddar (all mild), Sharp White Cheddar, Swiss, Colby Jack, and Pepper Jack.

I did a batch about 2 weeks ago and it came out smelling like an ash tray. I read through the forums and found that I need to let it sit. Today it is much better, but still a bit stronger than I'd like, so it'll get another week to mellow (I have a feeling it'll be gone on super bowl sunday).

So for this smoke I invested in the mailbox mod with an AMPS for my smoker hoping that it would eliminate that ashtray smell...it didn't. Am I just thinking too much into the stale smoke smell and need to let the cheese mellow, or is there something I can be doing differently? The only thing I could think of is that it's sort of cold outside (30 degrees f), and that I wasn't getting a good smoke draft going, but it looked like TBS, and was steadily moving out of the smoke chamber; I also opened the cook chamber a few times to add the cheese from the stragglers.

I've read around the forums, and there are posts that say, "you need to wait for it to mellow" and others that say, "You should be able to eat it right away". Maybe my smoke times are too long? For the first smoke, the cheddar was on there for 4.5 hours, this time I reduced the time to 3 hours, and some of the stragglers cheeses were only on for 1.5 hours, but they all still have that stale smoke smell.

Anyway, advice is greatly appreciated, and more than likely will be put to use for the next set of cheese (or this one if the solution is, "wait"). Also, here is the mandatory q' view.

Suggest you learn to smoke one block of cheese before attempting to smoke 36. It doesn't hurt so bad if you over do it.

If you are willing to make some changes, PM me as we can help.

T

Yeah, but smoking someone else's cheese don't hurt either.LOL
icon_biggrin.gif
 That's true if pride's not involved. 
icon_redface.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky