Lang Throwdown?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seboke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 11, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
Sumosmoke came up with the idea in the thread where Pineywoods introduced us to his new Lang, (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=21797&page=3) so I contacted her to request her service as Supreme Knightess of the Inaugural SMF Lang Throwdown.

Laurel humbly accepted the position of honor and suggested I take this issue to task. With a snappy salute, I have accepted the task.

Initial positive comments posted by Capt Dan and Smokâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]n Steve looks like we can have a Lang Throwdown in the very near future. I invite all Lang owners, any size or model, to participate.

What Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m looking for in this post are potential participants, preferred weekend (30/31 AUG [Labor Day], 6/7 SEP, 13/14 SEP, 20/21 SEP, 27/28 SEP), and possible ideas.

What Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m looking at is a fairly big smoke, with each participant preparing a brisket, a pork butt, a rack or two of ribs (spares or BBs) and a whole chicken. Intent for the multi meat smoke is to kind of give the atmosphere of a BBQ competition, while snapping the great lookinâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] qview of all the Langs loaded up with meat. Participants can create their own thread showing the prep, progress, and final pics, but the throwdown entry will show only one qview of the Lang loaded down, then one qview each of the categories plated up, and a link to your progress thread. Not a lot of commentary in the entry thread is needed – that can come out in your prep thread. SMF Members will be invited to vote with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for each meat category. Points will be added up (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd) and a “winner†for each category will be announced. A grand total will determine the Throwdown Champion.

Just concept at this point. I am very open to suggestions, so if you have any ideas, post em here, PM me, or email me.

Ken

You and Piney need to enter a comp down here. Solves the bragging rights (for Florida anyhow) and you just might walk away with some $$$.

Just a thought.........good luck with the throwdown what ever form it takes.

As with all aspects of the comps, it all comes down to knowing how to handle your meat.
biggrin.gif

Got it.

That also explains the duct tape in your last comp photo.

Just giving them what they want, eh.

Well I'm not really a competitive person so I don't think competitions would be my thing. Having not had a chance to even fire up my lang and having never used a stick burner I think I need some experience before showing people how good they are or how bad I am
biggrin.gif
If the storm leaves me alone long enough to get some experience I'll be showing Qview often maybe too often
eek.gif

I try. The Ft. Myers comp next month I am going to try out the Borat suit.

It is a bit daring, but I think I can pull it off and score well.

0,,5862972,00.jpg

I'm not thinking about the smoker
biggrin.gif

You know they say sugar melts but I don't have to worry about that one but they also say something else floats and I be a little concerned about that one
biggrin.gif

Joe not to derail but have ya'll been getting a pretty steady drizzly crap rain there since like Monday afternoon

No.......nothing.....not a drop.

and for the record........this thread was derailed a while back.........unless the Borat swimsuit picture can be tied to a Lang throwdown outside of thsi thread.

Uhmm, somebody say Dynamite? Need any? Pablo is telling me not to keep my dynamite in my firewood anymore:-(

Seriously, If this throwdown happens, I would prefer mid to later Sept just so I can get my kids off to school and stuff in the next few weeks.

I am pretty open to any creative ideas you all might have, especially after you can convince Ben Lang to give the winner a new 84 deluxe!!!!
Is there going to be an incentive for this?? (something other than that thong?)

Steve

Man this thread went to h-e-l-l fast!

Joe, i'd like to enter a comp sometime, but would like to experience one first, having never been to one... When's the Brooksville gig? Try that suit in a Keys Cookoff!

Jerry, if we look later Sep, you'll have plenty of time for gettin ta know yer new rig, unless Fay is still around then.

Steve, I dunno... Right now it's a throwdown between us two. Not that it couldn't happen, just thought we'd get a few more interested... Maybe not enough langs? maybe open it up to include any big smoker? Will give it a few days to check interest before putting more effort into getting a throwdown going.

The Langs will come, there has to be at least 30 members with em, maybe expand to reverse flows in general? We could possibly get some more input on the contest rules or...........or.........maybe offer something real good for the winner or winners which may bring in the big boys? If ya'all want this to happen, throw in your suggestions.

I was the last guy they picked for "captain" in gym glass cause of my big black glasses and my plush cordaroy pants and my geek sweater, so I am not much of a competitor either, but you know, BBQ rocks and I think this could be fun!!!!!!

Like I said, I am in! I have a championship "speedo" in the dresser drawer that will guarantee me the win!

I think the format and rules that Seboke mentioned will work for me. I do think that at least one pic should include the cook/crew that prepares the meal!

The date isn't a big problem, except on the 6th and 20th of Sept, I will be a hired cook for different groups and chicken or ribs isn't on the menu at these events. So I guess I would prefer labor day weekend, or 13/14th of Sept.

I would bet Shooter rick and neens will chime in and there are alot of other Lang bretheren on this website.

Thanks Seboke for being the organizer.
icon_smile.gif

Same weekend as the Pineywoods get together.

Butt.......the KCBS Plant City Pig Jam is 11/21 & 22. That is a nice contest and would be a good one to check out that isn't far from home.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky