Lang mobile 60

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice Write up Jmedic,

I did find a few things in your link that I have found to work differently with my 60. When I want to cool my unit, I just close the vents up. I have found that when I open the firebox door, it adds more air to the unit and my temperature jumps right up, not the opposite. In fact, if I want 375 to 400, I leave the firebox door cracked a bit, and if I want 500 to 550 for pizzas or quick grilling, I open the firebox door and also crack open the cooker door a 1/4 inch. This allows me to ramp up very quickly as long as there is plenty of fuel. Also, I find that my 60 can be ready to cook (from cold)in 20 minutes easily as long as you use a brush burner or in my case, I have a log lighter:-)

Steve:-)

I agree Steve. I wrote this a month or so after I bought it. I have since learned a bit more. I have not tried to acheive the 500 mark. I haven't tried. I don't have a brush burner. I still like starting the old fashoned way. Hopefully this thread can turn into a Lang tips and tricks forum. Have you found that you are much hotter at the firebox end?

With my 84 the longer the cook the closer the temp difference between the front and back is and the stoker makes it even closer.

At smoking temps, like 220 to 280, there should be very little differences from left to right. When at 225 on the left gauge, i am at 250 or so on the firebox side upper rack. When at 280 on the left gauge, i am at 295 on the firebox side upper rack.

The coolest spot in mine is bottom left rack which is typically 25 degrees less than the smokers gauge, but go up just a few inches to the upper rack and you are at the gauge temperature. The hottest spot is usually top right when smoking and bottom right when grilling. I bought 6 cheapo oven thermometers and made a chart for every cooking temp in comparison to the left gauge. For example, when all vents are open with food door ajar, and fire door ajar and a good fire, my gauge is at 500 for grilling, I am at 370, 430, and 500 left to right on the bottom and 460, 475, 500 on the top. So the higher the temps, the more the difference.

At 225, I am 210,220, and 240 on the bottom and 235,235,250 across the top. Biggest difference is 40 degrees.

My cast iron bottom grates may hold more heat, but I don't think they have changed its characteristics because they are all the same thickness. They are great for grilling, almost act like a pizza stone for pizza, and they don't rip the tinfoil. If anything, I probably improved the ability for it to recover temperature after opening the door because of the added mass, they are pretty thick and heavy.

Hope this helps,

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky