Lang 48 or 60

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks again fellas, The shipping is an extra 100 bucks for the 60, which makes the 60, 600 bucks more than the 48. I am not rich by any means, but its not the money keeping me from buying the 60, hell my wife is even sick of hearing me mull it over and is telling me to get the 60
icon_surprised.gif
. I am just afraid it will be too big for most of my cooking, is that possible??? Is it crazy to only be cooking a butt, tray of beans and maybe a chicken on the 60? I'm leaning towards the 60 now, because I don't wanna regret it down the road, and just think it would be easier to buy it now than later, considering shipping and the soon to be price increases, and I would also like to throw a decent size hog on there in the future. Anyways, come Monday, I need to make a concrete decision, I'm sick of beating myself up over this...

thanks, brick

I have the 84. I cooked 24 slabs of ribs and a pile of fatties yesterday for the opening of archery deer season here in Georgia.

wish i would have bought the 108 or perhaps the dual 84... my smoker was FULL of meat.

David S

I don't own a Lang..(wish I could afford the 48)..but after reading your last post that money isn't the issue, I would go for the 60...Here's why..Imagine 6 months down the road you have your 20 friends over, (19 more then I have)...your standing around the smoker and saying..yea I love my lang and couldn't decide if I should get the 48 or the 60 if I had to decide all over again I'd have got the 60...20/20 hindsight..just my .02..I've been there done that on many other things..I vote 60

Just my 2 cents. I have the 48 mobile. To date my largest cook was 6 slabs, 2 briskets, 1 pork butt, and a couple lbs of sausage. The butt and briskets were 22lbs total. The slabs were St. Louise style cuts. If I wanted I think I could easily get 10 butts in the 48. Either way you look at it you could cook for a lot of people. Certainly more people than I want in my house at one time!

Buy the 60, or you will be sorry.I have the 60 mobile w/warmer. It does a great job, I wish I had the 84 w/warmer now. I do have alot of friends, and so will you when you start turning out Q cooked over wood. THe 60 won't use that much more wood than a 48, possibly 10%. Listen to the wife and get the 60. They look bigger in the pictures than they actually are!
cool.gif

brick..........this is why i will NEVER get rid of my ecb gourmet........for the SMALLER cooks.............but like in life, if you can get bigger............get bigger...........so you don't regret it the rest of you life.........just ask my wife.........OLLLLOLOLOLOLOL

The new 48 cooks great. I wouldn't go 60 unless I planned on selling bbq at fairs etc. For my weekend smoking, a 60 would be like killing a fly with a hand grenade.

Don't forget the specs have changed. Both the 48 and the 60 now have a larger cooking area. The new specs have not been posted on the Lang site yet.

icon_rolleyes.gif
Wondering when mine will ever arrive......getting tired of the wait and the hassle involved in lineing someone up to be there for delivery.

There's your answer:-)

Its only another 20 inches Brickeldred, that can't use that much more wood:-) Also, the 20 inch firebox allows you to really ramp the Lang60 up to 500 degrees if you want to grill or even do pizzas!!

OK I wouldn't usually post twice to a question but there seems to be much discussion about 48 vs 60 langs. You all know I have the 48 and love it. This question is really more involved than bigger is better. When I made my choice I considered several things.

Money does matter. If you are never going to fill the 60 or 84 why pay for the capacity? My wife likes the idea of a 4 bedroom house but out of 3 bedrooms we have, two are empty except at Christmass. The sofa sleeper is fine for the kids for a few days! Too compfy and they might stay! LOL

Do you really have the room to store the larger smoker or is your storage space at a premium? The last thing I want to do is chase rust all year and tarping doesn't help! My investment in a premium smoker is under roof and dry.

Is the difference in price worth the 1 foot more of length or am I just getting a case of little man big pickup syndrome thats gonna cost me for no significant or real need?

All this said, if I find I need more capacity just a very few times a year I will precook for an event and have the benefits of less cost and easier storage. If I have to precook to much then I made a mistake but so far that hasn't happened and I don't anticipate it will. I could easily get 10 butts on my 48 and that's alot of meat! I can cook baked beans and other things on my double 60K Camp Chef. I do anticipate putting a warming box on my 48 in the future but that is convenience Just cause I want it.

Of course as Dennis Miller says: "I could be wrong".

One thing I've learned about smokers. It's better to grow into one than grow out of it. Wish I had your lang problem tho
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Well Monday came and gone and I was still wavering big time, so I gave Ben a call today. He said from what I told him the 48 Patio would be plenty big for my needs. If I was to go with a trailer rig he would recommend the 60 to me, but that was out of the question since the garage houses a boat and I don't have enough room in the backyard. He is one hell of a nice guy and easily could have sold me the 60, so I am feeling pretty good about the decision and am ready for this bad boy to arrive.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for all the help, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once she arrives.

Thanks again, brick

big or little, your gonna love the way she cooks. I guarantee. start gettin wood together!
biggrin.gif

You'll be very happy! Ben has a way of getting to the truth:-) You'll love the reverse flow and how easy it cooks!

Make sure you take lots of pics:-)
SmS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky