Landjaeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hog warden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Anybody know anything about making landjaeger? Looking to make something similar to what the Zubers bunch make:

http://www.zubersmeats.com/landjaeger.html

I've had theirs and it's good stuff. Would love to be able to make something similar.

I have the recipe and process from Rytek's book, but some of that seems sketchy to me. If it's right, I can follow along easy enough. Anybody tried it?

Let me know if it turns out. I thought someone on here made some before.

Those do look good. I'd start with Rytec's recipe for a base point and them modify it to your liking. I haven't ventured into the world of dry cured meats yet, let us know how it comes out if and when you do it.

You must be looking for something like these. I get mine from psseasonings. They got the seasonings for Landjaegers.... Are you making them out of venison? Thats how I did mine. I am going to be smoking some this w-end. They do come out really good! Here's some pics of some I have done in the past! Good Luck!

Blza

They take on a darker color after you let them sit out for a while and bloom! These had just come out of the smoker that day I took the picture. They are a big hit with my freinds and family.... really good with a beer!

If I do this, I'll try to follow the seasoning mix in Rytek's book. I will fit out some type of a box to do the first stage of drying and I have a cold room for the second......as per the recipe in his book. First attempt will be made using beef and pork.

What is the deal with pressing them with a board? I have gone to assuming that all the old ways of doing stuff usually meant form follows function. The traditional landjaeger was field rations for something like our National Guard. I can see tying two together as a means of portion control. Don't know why they would press them between boards, unless it would be to flatten them out to pack tighter for shipping. Or perhaps pressed into a rectangle shape, they dry faster or more evenly?

Rytek suggests smoking them after they have dried, unless I'm missing something. He left out the part about aging them after the smoke to concentrate the flavors. That will have to be a trial and error process.

Among other things, I did plan to gnaw on some of these along with a slab of aged cheddar and a Bitberger or Shiner Bock (or two).

Sorry I cannot offer any assistance to you Hog Warden, but thanks for that link. I might just have to order me some of those, they look great. I can see me enjoying those with a nice lager or 6
biggrin.gif

You are right .... pressing them with a board will get you a more uniform thickness and thenn they will smoke at the same temp. or there abouts! I don't press mine with a board... I do it by pressing with my hand and then pinch off the desired length of Landjaeger to be smoked. I don' t smoke them together as pairs..... I do them as individual sticks! But you can do them as pairs ... It won't hurt a thing! Good Luck! They are good!

Blza

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky