Labor Day - 1st Rib try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobcats110

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Riverview, FL
I didn't do a good job of documenting my progress, only the end result.  I was pretty happy with how they turned out using the 2-2-1 method described elsewhere.  My problem was, in addition to trying ribs for the first time, I also tried chunk charcoal for the first time.  In hindsight, I would probably not have done that.  I struggled to get the temp over 200 at the beginning, then just left it alone for 5 minutes and came back and it was at 400.  After closing off the air and basically jacking with it for about 30 minutes, finally got it to hover around 275 (according to the built in thermometer).  Last couple hours it settled in at 250 for the most part.  I also seemed to have a hard time getting smoke (like in the photo of the stock rig) to come pouring out.  Did a combination of soaked hickory chunks and dry.  At the end of the day, things tasted pretty good. 

I bought racks that were a lot larger, and needed trimmed to St. Louis style, but didn't know what to do with the leftovers pieces that weren't fat, plus I know I actually cut through some bone as well, so I must be missing something in the trimming process as all the videos I watched, the guys cut right through with a sharp knife and didn't hit any real resistance.

I did the internal vent mod that was shown in another thread using the aluminum piping and hose clamp on the inside to make the smoke hang around a little longer and it seemed to work great.  Next is picking up the internal oven thermometer to check the accuracy of the built in version, but haven't had any major problems with temps yet.  Might also do the add'l mods t
Finished.jpg
hat t
Smoker.jpg
he internal vent came from (pans on bottom with diffuser and the firebox basket mod).

4f071591_Smoker.jpg

bf14f33d_Finished.jpg

First shot at ribs and trouble with the heat?  Looks like you ended up with a pretty good smoke in spite of things.  Keep at it.

I agree, so long as it was tasty thats all that matters. This past weekend I toyed with temp trouble all day, it was a nightmare.  I often use the rib scraps, if I trim them, to cut up and put in beans.

Good Luck to ya for the next smoke.

Next time you get a rack of spares ,take a min. and play w/ your food. If you pick up the rack  after you have removed the flap off the back and the membrane , you have the rib end and the back bone end. on the backbone end if you bend the ribs you can feel what i call the knuckle (for lack of the proper term). You want to run your knife right between the rib and the knuckle. there is a spot there that if you hit it you can slice straight down the rack removing everything but the ribs. It may take a few tries but once you figure out exactly where to cut it's very easy to st louis cut a slab of ribs.

eman - I didn't really find the flap on the back, maybe it wasn't as prominent as I thought it should be.  Did get the membranes off w/o too much trouble.  As for your knuckle, I did mess with them a while looking for what you describe, but really didn't find a hinge point on them.  One definitely cut easier than the other, but I just could not find the path of least resistance on the other.  Will have to give it another try for sure...and watch the youtube how-to videos again.

Tom37 - great idea....will have to do that the next time.

For everyone else, they did come out pretty good, and I had some leftovers today.  The smaller end got a but more charred than I originally thought.  One suggestion I had heard was putting foil on that smaller end to keep that from happening, and this would be before the total wrap starting hour three.  Anyone do that before?  I'm thinking I just had a problem because of the temp. issues, but didn't sound like a bad idea, maybe after an hour or so on the smoke at the beginning.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well atleast your happy with your smoke and the good folks that ate it too. Next time you can try some other ways maybe they will be better. But for the first time they sure looks good to me.

Looks like folks were feed and overall a good smoke job. Stick around and the neighbors will be beating the door down.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky