Kingsford hardwood charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All

I have used this twice..first time I mixed some applewood with it. Secondly time charcoal only. I noticed the heavy taste of the wood in it this last time.

Issue is this..about 25 years ago our apt burnt down. I will never ever forget the smell. Including a couple animals of ours and the neighbors.

The kingsford leaves the taste that almost exactly matches the smell of that fire to me. Has anyone tried this charcoal?

Dude I’m sorry to hear about that awful life experience..

I just use the regular charcoal, or this brown bag of lump hardwood charcoal, not kingsford. I wouldn’t be able to use that charcoal

Yeah sucks no way to control the flavor unless I dump my vertical hopper and mix that charcoal with some regular royal oak lump. Wonder what Kinda hardwood they use in that.

Kingsford's origin a hundred years ago was to find a sellable use for scrap hardwood from building automobiles. No wood in autos today, but there is a LOT of scrap hardwood from the furniture industry. Not too hard to connect the dots, though it is pure speculation on my part.

Try a bag of Royal Oak (briquettes or lump) and compare.

Use the Kingsford in your grill at full burn high heat so the volatiles burn off cleanly.

Reactions: negolien
I have used it for years without any problems, how do you light your charcoal?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky