kingsford "charwood" - what is it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 27, 2008
Chinook, Montana
the bag has a picture of a hickory or oak tree (we don't have either here so i am not sure), but nowhere on the bag does it actually SAY what kind of wood is used to make kingsford's "charwood." it only says that it is "hardwood."

anyone know?

havent seen the exact kind youre talking about , but i did but some walmart brand " Hardwood Charcoal" the bag said 60% larger coals for a hotter fire, i bought some and it was trash, didnt burn as long as regular charcoal,
maybe someone here has used it and has more info, have a great day friend

I think it's made from various South American Hardwoods. I tried one bag and wasn't impressed. It was like the 4th of July trying to get it going in the chimney starter. Try and find some Royal Oak Lump (the made in USA variety). I've been happy as a clam with it.

Dave

Not too sure about that stuff. I only use "Chiggar Creek Sweet and Smokey" brand Lump Charcoal. I found it online and then saw it at my local grocery store. I bought a 20 pound bag and haven't looked back since! It burn really good and HOT!!! I can keep a 225 temp for about 2 hours on about 5 pounds of the stuff. Not sure how accesible it is in your neck-o-the woods, but you can order it online here...

http://www.chiggercreekproducts.net/

This stuff is the BEST!

The Naked Whiz hasn't tested it yet but the readers sure love it!
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag20.htm

You can also get just about ANY kind of smoking wood from them too.
http://www.chiggercreekproducts.net/files/14519833.pdf

I did try a bag of this recently. It was ok and would use it again if i couldn't get any Royal Oak.

Just read the write up at nakedwhiz that TH posted. I didn't have any popping problems with this bag and it lasted for a decent time. Close to the results of the Royal Oak, and i'd say a good subsitute although on average it's $1 more a bag than R.O.

I had bought a couple of bags last year when I was still using my ECB. When I had it in the chimney, it sparked and popped more than any charcoal I have ever used before. It was like haveing a bunch of lit sparklers in a can.

Once it was going it was ok. It did seem to burn hotter than anything else I have ever used, so it was good for poulty but would not use it for ribs as it made controlling temps very difficult.

All in all, I would rather use Weekend Warrior if you can find it. If you are doing something that you can use higher temps, this should be fine though.

I got 4 bags of the stuff from Sams club - hated it - it popped and cracked and didnt last near as long as the Best Choice lump (Royal Oak) -

I will use briquettes before I use that stuff again. A few of the pieces were "planed" so I guess they got some of the wood from perhaps furniture or cabinet makers(?)

I was just reading the review Husker. They seem to think it OK. I din't when I tried it, but that was well over a year ago.

And..some chunks may be machined, but I'm sure they use the stuff before it was finished. And honestly, after the process of making the lump, I highly doubt any surface finishes or by-broducts would remain anyway.

guys, thanks for the links to reviews and for personal experiences. unfortunately, i live in the middle of nowwhere and as far as i can tell so far, this is the only lump charcoal available. i understand that i can make my own and might give that a try in the future, but the complication there is that the only tree in abundance around here is cottonwood.

for now, it looks like i am stuck with the kingsford charwood, which seemed to work "ok" for this beginner. next trip to great falls or billings, i might try to see if i can get ahold of something different and do a comparison ~

thanks again!

All that matters is it burns and makes heat!!
If we have a choice, we'd all pick the good stuff but some don't, bottom line is your smokin!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky