Super Tuscan Wine is Done and Bottled...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
As some of you know, some of my Uncles and cousins are big into making homemade wine. They have been doing this for over 20 years. There are a lot of wine kits out there, but they have found that the most bang for the buck are the Italian wines made with grape skins (Valpolicella Ripasso, Valpolicella Amarone, Super Tuscan, etc....). An Amarone for example can be made for less than $15/bottle and that wine will sell for 5-7X that much. A Super Tuscan can be made for $10-11/bottle and will sell for 3-4X that much.

I have been wanting to learn from them how to make wine, but with my Uncle's recent health issues I have had to postpone it. Well he is finally feeling better and getting stronger with Physical Therapy every week so we kicked it off last week! I am so excited!

The kit- R.J. Spagnole Super Tuscan Wine:

(Stock pic.)
-series-italian-super-tuscan-14l-wine-making-kit-7.jpg

About to open the kit:
IMG_20230117_152307.jpg

The supplies list (they had most of this, I just had to track it down and round it up.)
IMG_20230117_153556.jpg

Tracking the specific gravity...
IMG_20230201_193127_01.jpg

We plan or doing the first racking tomorrow...

Last edited:
I agree looks interesting

S.G. dropped below 1.020 today so time for the first racking into the Carboy.
IMG_20230202_134023.jpg

Testing the S.G. and removing the grape skins and toasted oak buttons...
IMG_20230202_134332.jpg

Bubbling away making alcohol!
IMG_20230202_134338.jpg

IMG_20230202_191900_02.jpg

Added a pack of pectinase enzyme for secondary fermentation and clarification in the carboy.
IMG_20230202_114721_1CS.jpg

Will let it go for about another 14 days until the S.G. drops below 0.998...then onto the next step...Still bubbling away!!
IMG_20230202_140400.jpg

IMG_20230202_140927.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
Oh- jcam222 jcam222 I am saving all the charcoal toasted oak buttons from the wine to add to my next fermented hot sauce. They say the charcoal really amps the flavor creation up big time so I'm gonna give it a go and try it.....

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good! So what's the alcohol content gonna end up?

Ryan

Brings back some precious memories Keith! My papa made wine from fresh grapes for 20 years with the next door neighbor, they were never happy, always striving for better, had there own little label made. I swiped a couple bottles in high school and got ripped, all I cared about back then, wish I could taste it today. Now I'm pretty much an old man, think of my dad about every day. Papa passed away 43 years ago this month, the love never dies, just grows stronger. RAY

Brings back some precious memories Keith! My papa made wine from fresh grapes for 20 years with the next door neighbor, they were never happy, always striving for better, had there own little label made. I swiped a couple bottles in high school and got ripped, all I cared about back then, wish I could taste it today. Now I'm pretty much an old man, think of my dad about every day. Papa passed away 43 years ago this month, the love never dies, just grows stronger. RAY
Right on Ray! This wine is a kit wine with pretty much everything included. They do have a few secrets that they do, but follow the recipe pretty much to a T.
I have another Uncle that is retired and works part time at a wine shop just to have something to do. He got a group of wine enthusiasts together and they recently bought 1 ton of grapes, pressed them, and they are now fermenting. Will make 750 bottles when it's all said and done!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks interesting for sure just not a wine drinker. Of course after seeing this thread last night I spent a couple hours looking at wine and spirits making stuff.

Looks interesting for sure just not a wine drinker. Of course after seeing this thread last night I spent a couple hours looking at wine and spirits making stuff.
It is a neat hobby. Not really a ton of work, just requires a lot of patience and keeping track of the progress...mainly the specific gravity which tells you how far along the fermentation process has gone.
Being a super taster, good wine is really good, but bad wine is even worse! I am very picky when it comes to wine.

I have another Uncle that is retired and works part time at a wine shop just to have something to do. He got a group of wine enthusiasts together and they recently bought 1 ton of grapes, pressed them, and they are now fermenting. Will make 750 bottles when it's all said and done!
Wow, that a lot of work! My dad and the neighbor made a couple hundred bottles a year at most to the best of my recollection. I know a few years they were really proud of what they'd accomplished, and a couple they'd just as soon as flushed. I reckon it's pretty much like anything else we do, it could always be just a hair better, even tho it's perfect. RAY

It is a neat hobby. Not really a ton of work, just requires a lot of patience and keeping track of the progress...mainly the specific gravity which tells you how far along the fermentation process has gone.
Being a super taster, good wine is really good, but bad wine is even worse! I am very picky when it comes to wine.
I think I'd be more interested in spirits even though I have lots of blueberries and can get muscadines around here easy and cheap or free

I think I'd be more interested in spirits even though I have lots of blueberries and can get muscadines around here easy and cheap or free
Well...Someone in the family is into making clear liquor. And my brother is about to jump off into making craft bourbon. No easy to do for a home producer, but he found a guy on youtube that has it figured out.

Muscadines and blueberries make sweet wines, and whie they are good, that is not the style we are making. This will be a dry full body wine.....with manners and smooth as silk.

My son loves blueberry wine! Have a friend that makes wine...well used to, but he retired from his job. Think he's in Florida now actually. They travel the country going to rendezvous. But his wines were about 18 %

Ryan

Wow! Between the cured meats and now wine you’re sitting pretty well for whatever comes! Judging from your cures I’m positive this wind will be pretty incredible!

Funny Ray!!!!

Oh, he has fallen off deep into it! Gonna drive up to the deer lease in NE Arkansas (base of the Ozark Mountains) and collect spring water to make the bourbon with!!!

Wow! Between the cured meats and now wine you’re sitting pretty well for whatever comes! Judging from your cures I’m positive this wind will be pretty incredible!
Thanks Jed. The Super Tuscan is one they have dialed in. I will have to count, they have made this wine a lot, having tweaked a few things and got it right where they want it. My Uncle is lead man on this project...I'm learning from him. Good thing is he takes meticulous notes!

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky