Key Lime Pie! A Pictorial Journey...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"This was not the best Key Lime Pie I've had, but this was near the top and made me really happy!"

I bet it did Zach, about the best looking one ever seen, big Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! I'm sure there are way better recipes out there, but this one hit my taste buds the right way. Appreciate it!

IMG_20200701_143828.jpg

I did just find these at the store. Mini pie plates. If only I had another bag of key limes... Hmmm...

Love me some key lime pie. I follow the same basic recipe but I sometimes make it into a citrus pie. I use 1/2 key lime juice, 1/2 lemon. I tried a bit of orange juice once - and that I didn't care for as much.

I use straight heavy cream without sugar to top with. Whip it in my blender for a few seconds and only enough for the slice (usually a pretty big slice lol - I don't eat sweets often but when I do I get all the craving out at once) as the homemade whipped cream will get a tick runny before I can eat what I want of the pie.

I've made it before with regular limes when I couldn't get key limes and it's not quite the same. The zest is ridiculously important. Nellie and Joe's brand juice is acceptable in my opinion but you need at least a couple of key limes for the zest.

Reactions: kempshark
Key Lime Pie

View attachment 451860

Key Lime Pie is probably my absolute favorite pie. Not sure how that came to be, but it's hard to beat a Good Key Lime Pie! I logged on to the youtubes recently and saw a video for Key Lime Pie, which lead to a wormhole of watching recipes. I have eaten a lot of Key Lime Pie over the years, but never actually made one. After having some good ones and bad ones I was always tepid on trying my own. Armed with lots of videos and recipes I settled in on this one as a good starting point:

Key Lime Pie:
  • Crust​
    • 1 Package Biscoff Cookies (8.8 oz)​
    • 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted​
  • Filling​
    • 3 Egg Yolks​
    • 2 tsp Key Lime Zest (I just did 3 Key Limes)​
    • 21 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk​
    • 2/3 Cup Key Lime Juice​
  • Whipped Topping​
    • 1 Cup Heavy Cream​
    • 3 Tbsp Powdered Sugar​
    • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract​

View attachment 451847

Start out by processing the Biscoff Cookies via food processor, blender, or rolling pin and bag. Mix in the melted butter and mix til combined.

View attachment 451848

Using a measuring cup or glass, flatten the crust on the bottom and sides. I had some thin spots but still worked great. Bake this crust at 350°F for 10 minutes.

View attachment 451849

Start the filling by combining the yolks and Key Lime zest and mixing for a good minute.

View attachment 451850

View attachment 451851

Measure out 21 oz of Sweetened Condensed Milk and add to the mixer bowl

View attachment 451852

View attachment 451853

Squeeze enough Key Limes for 2/3 Cup of juice

View attachment 451854

Incorporate the Key Lime Juice into the filling mix and then dump into cooked crust

View attachment 451855

Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes until it just sets. It should have just a little jiggle to it still. Let it cool on the counter for awhile before refrigeration.

View attachment 451856

If we've come this far, why not make our own whipped topping?! Add contents to the mixer bowl and whip on high speed til soft peaks form. This took me two tries honestly. The first batch went too far and was no good. I stepped the next batch in 15-30 second increments until I was happy. Also, put your mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for a little bit prior to making. This will help speed up the process.

View attachment 451857

Soft-ish peak

View attachment 451858

Top the Pie as desired. I originally wanted to do fancy dollops, but the zip-lock bag method wasn't working so good. I ended up just loading it up and smoothing it out a bit.

View attachment 451859

Place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, best overnight

View attachment 451860

Truth be told, I sliced after 4 hours because I was craving this bad! The pie was not fully "set" and was waaaay better the next day (texture wise). Not that this was bad, but making a day ahead is highly recommended.

This was not the best Key Lime Pie I've had, but this was near the top and made me really happy! The crust is amazing. Biscoff cookies are an awesome upgrade over graham crackers. The spice and sugar profile are amazing and go great with the tartness of the pie. The pie itself was what I was hoping for. The Key Limes are a must. They are stronger in smell, higher acidity, and just pack more tart flavor. The wife is not the biggest sour fan and was a bit taken aback by it on the first bite. The sugary whipped topping helps to balance it out with the crust. For any questions, Frankie Bones customer service is excellent.

For me, this was a bit heavy on the whipped cream but the tartness still shined through. The wife suggested next time to make the whipped cream sweeter haha. I think a sweeter whipped cream in smaller portion may work. This pie did not last but a few days. and I'm pretty sure I had all but a couple slices :emoji_sweat_smile: :emoji_metal:

I'm not sure what to tweak really, but for my tastes, next time I'll try:

More Lime Zest in the filling and maybe a dusting on top of final pie
Less Whipped Cream, or place in decorative dollops vice full coverage
Better Crust Spreading/evenness
Make a day ahead

Anyways, this was just my journey the other day and wanted to share.

Cheers Y'all!
I doubled and followed this recipe, carnation.co.uk/recipes/key-lime-pie-recipe, using the same number of ordinary limes, measuring the juice and using the same amount of bottled lime juice. I then added a bit more just to use up the bit that was left in the bottle. I left it in the fridge for a couple of hours but it was still sloppy. Did the extra lime juice stop the milk and cream from setting or should I have used more?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky