Kamado style grills?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retfr8flyr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 20, 2013
Providence Forge, VA
Anyone else interested in a sub section for Kamado style grills? I think it would be a good addition to the forum if we grouped all the question about Kamado grills in one section. We have sections for many other subjects, why not Kamado grills? I know there are already forums dedicated to them but I think it would be nice for anyone wanting information on them, on this forum, to be able to find it in one spot.

Anyone else interested in a sub section for Kamado style grills? I think it would be a good addition to the forum if we grouped all the question about Kamado grills in one section. We have sections for many other subjects, why not Kamado grills? I know there are already forums dedicated to them but I think it would be nice for anyone wanting information on them, on this forum, to be able to find it in one spot.

I certainly am. I think that’s great idea

They fall under the charcoal section along with the Webers and such.

Chris

I agree that it's a great idea. I've had to go to Kamado Guru for info, would be nice to have a Kamado section here, I have an old Richard Johnson K5 that I'm restoring.
k53.jpg

Reactions: noboundaries
I never knew that Kamado was a Richard Johnson K5. You've answered a question I've had for a while.

We had friends, who have since moved, who were given one. They never got the hang of low n slow, but they nailed hot n fast. It weighed a TON!

I never knew that Kamado was a Richard Johnson K5. You've answered a question I've had for a while.

We had friends, who have since moved, who were given one. They never got the hang of low n slow, but they nailed hot n fast. It weighed a TON!
Richard Johnson was the owner back then, K5 is just the model #. This one weighs in just over 400lbs. and was a pain to load into my truck. Kamado style cookers originated in Japan I believe. Lots of copies out there now like the Big Green Egg, Akorn by Chargriller and more. They made a K7 model also which was over 500lbs. These are excellent smokers and grills and fuel misers. Here's a pic of a K7.

k7.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky