just what is a fatty ???????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

panhead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
new york
i hope this is not a stupid question ,,,,but,,,,,...i read so much on this site about the fattys,,,i want to make one but what do i ask for in the meat market or what do i pick up at the supermarket.if i go into a supermarket here in new york city and ask for a fatty,i am going to get looked at like i am nuts.i see so many ways that forum members smoke,prepare and experiment with the fattys but what meat do i start out with? sorry for such a simple mewbie question but if i dont ask ,i will never learn....thank you for all your help so far,i have learned so much from all the good folk and great help i found on this site

The term fatty is a relative term. It means different things to different people. If you were to ask for a fatty in NY, you would probably be directed to the back alley for that purchase.

But here, a "fatty" is a Jimmy Dean sausage roll that is smoked. Some don't use Jimmy Dean and some stuff the roll with goodies and some even apply a rub. But, the foundation of a fatty is sausage..

Enjoy!

It base is pork sausage. From there you can add whatever you want or add nothing. Smoke it and bring its internal temp to 160 degree's and now you have a fatty.

thank you once again for the help....a jimmy dean sausage now i got it........i cant wait to try one

You'll always find room for a Fatty in the Smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

when i first joined this wonderful forum, i kept seeing fattys mentioned. i was like wtf is that? finally i asked. man i had been missing out on some good stuff. they are so good. i use JD sage flavor. it is good right out of the package and into the smoker. i smoke mine at 225° for 1.5 hours, flip, and smoke another 1.5 hours.

Start with a plain chub of Jimmy Dean, or Bob Evans, or your favorite brand. Don't use the cheap stuff, way too much fat (even though this is a fatty).
The flavor is up to you, regular, sage, hot.
But just do the fatty straight out of the wrapper to start. Appreciate the great flavor of the smoked sausage, that is the real fatty. And they are best right off the smoker. They freeze and reheat well.
You can always pimp it up later.
rolleyes.gif

They are fantastic for breakfast. Laura and I like them crumbled up with eggs, little onion and peppers, and wrapped in a flappy thing (flour tortilla).

I agree with Chris - when I started reading this forum I was totally confused about the fatty. I thought I was on the wrong forum for a minute until I saw what they were all about.

And now, I am a Fatty Head... In my opinion, a Fatty is one of the best darned things you will ever eat... mostly because there is no set way to cook it. It's all up to you - whatever you want to put in it or nothing at all....
- Anthony

I did my first fatty this past weekend - a large chub of Jimmy Dean Regular (is that 32 oz?) flattened, then stuffed with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped mushrooms, chopped green and red bell pepper, rolled back into a log and smoked for 2 hours or so in my Old Smokey Electric. Excellent!

Without wishin' you had done 2 or 3 or ?
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Done the JD naked, and rolled in rub. Both delish!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Found a brand called Farmland that is a courser grind than JD, did one with the brisket Friday. Rolled out, laced with several roasted Hatch med. hot chilis, rolled back up in plastic wrap, into the fridge to get it firm again. On the smoke to 160*. OUTSTANDING !!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

And don't forget that if you get into making your own sausage you can roll your own fatties! Now that's fun! And the flavorings are endless! I am hooked BAD!

Cheers!

o.k here is the deal...i had a fatty and my first meat loaf in the smoker at the same time,,,,they both turned out fantastic,,,,,,,

Panhead,

We are the SMF FAMILY! One of the great aspects of this forum is that we are here to share all the good as well as the bad with our brothers and sisters.

And while I agree that a forum of this type may not be the proper place to post this sort of terrible news you are a member of the SMF Family. We are here for you!

If you wish you may post a new thead under General Discussion and we will all add our insights.

May God Bless and keep your family!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky