Just Some Bob Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I made some BOB (bite off the bone) ribs. I got a nice meaty rack of back ribs and removed the silverskin from the back by the ribs by lifting one corner with a sharp knife and then grasping the membrane with a paper towel and pulling it off the meat.

I rubbed the ribs with my Basic Rub.

Hickey Bottom Sweet Honey Ribs 01.jpg

I preheated my Traeger Timberline to 230 F (110 C) and put the ribs on. I cooked the ribs to an internal temperature of 190 F (88 C) which took about 4 hours.

I brushed the ribs with a generous layer Hickey Bottom Honey BBQ sauce and cooked for 40 minutes longer.

I took the ribs off the grill and cut into single ribs.

Hickey Bottom Sweet Honey Ribs 02.jpg

Hickey Bottom Sweet Honey Ribs 04.jpg

Hickey Bottom Sweet Honey Ribs 05.jpg

Note how they are bite off the bone. The meat doesn’t fall off the bone but does bite off easily and is very tender and moist.

Hickey Bottom Sweet Honey Ribs 03.jpg

The Verdict

I love making ribs this way. It is She Who Must Be Obeyed's favourite. I kind of lean towards 3-2-1 and fall off the bone but I have been assured these are better by the higher power.

Disco

Nice back ribs disco! Looks like thats the perfect "bob" ribs. Ive got a few racks waiting for next weekend.

Those are some fine looking ribs Disco!! Beautiful job....on these and your Buffalo wings. Apologies sir, but I never got around to responding to that one. I'm with you though. I prefer BOB versus FOTB. Sadly Tracy prefers FOTB. IMHO, that's not a whole lot different than pulled pork :emoji_wink:

Big LIKE!!
Robert

Great job.

My wife prefers FOTB, but I'm slowly converting here.

She ate some of my left over baby backs yesterday. They had a bit more bite than BoB.

I make them a touch more "bite" when intended for a long slow cook on a tractor manifold.

Those are about to pretty to eat !!! Nahhhhh

Great job

Gary

Many prefer FOTB but IMO the flavor has gone past prime at that stage due to over cooking. BoB has been our method for years! A nice clean bite (no naw or tug required) lets the meat flavor shine. JMTC

Last edited:
Nice back ribs disco! Looks like thats the perfect "bob" ribs. Ive got a few racks waiting for next weekend.

Thanks! Ribs are perfect for any weekend!

Those are some fine looking ribs Disco!! Beautiful job....on these and your Buffalo wings. Apologies sir, but I never got around to responding to that one. I'm with you though. I prefer BOB versus FOTB. Sadly Tracy prefers FOTB. IMHO, that's not a whole lot different than pulled pork :emoji_wink:

Big LIKE!!
Robert

Thanks, but I'm with your missus. I like FOTB. However, BOB are pretty good too.

Awesome ribs. As usual.

Thanks so much!

Great job.

My wife prefers FOTB, but I'm slowly converting here.

She ate some of my left over baby backs yesterday. They had a bit more bite than BoB.

I make them a touch more "bite" when intended for a long slow cook on a tractor manifold.

Thank you. You are luckiy. It is usually my wife converting me.

Awesome job Disco. I like the B O B ribs myself.

Thanks! To each their own!

Those are about to pretty to eat !!! Nahhhhh

Great job

Gary

Thanks Gary. I hope you are well.

Pretty ribs, Disco! My "She Who Must Be Obeyed" likes them FOTB but she is OK with BOB :-)
Like..

Thanks for the like. Truth be told, I like both too!

Many prefer FOTB but IMO the flavor has gone past prime at that stage due to over cooking. BoB has been our method for years! A nice clean bit (no naw or tug required) lets the meat flavor shine. JMTC

Sounds like you've found your rib!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky