just made my 1st ever batch of sausage and had some questions on smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jam030303

Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
The sausage I made does not have any cure in it, but I have decided I want to try to smoke some of it.  I am new to smoking and sausage making and have read a few threads on it and it sounds like I have to hot smoke my sausage to be safe.  What temperatures should I smoke my sausage at and for how long?  I have an electric masterbuilt smoker that uses woodchips and stuffed my sausage into hog casings and they are still connected.  Should I hang my sausage or leave it on the grates?  Also how much wood chips should I add during the smoking process and at what times should I add the woodchips.  Thanks. 

personally i got a masterbuilt30 size. i set temp at 225 when i do mine. mines got the pull out round tube on the bottom of the side for a chip tray. i toss in a handfull of  chips ((usually fill up the chip holdng spot)). I have to add chips every 20-30 minutes depending on wind. after the 2nd loading of  chips, i insert my thermometer into a link to monitor temp. i'm a lazy dog, have always just laid the links on the rack. i don't add smoke till the casings are dry ((if they were wet to begin with)) remember the 40 to 140 in 4 since it doesnt have cure in it.

i take mine to 160 n let it coast on to 165, but i use CHICKEN for 95% of what i do. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky