Just like auto-pilot: MES + AMNS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I thought I would try & see how effortlessly you could smoke something with an MES & AMNS in combination.So yesterday I bought a 7lb. roasting chicken. Just rinsed it off. No rub, injection, etc. Put it on a half empty can of beer. Set the MES to 225 ( on my MES that means about 240 on the grate ). The chicken had a pop-up timer in the breast. I positioned it so the pop-up was right in front of the window. Didn't use any probes, wanted to make it real simple. I lit both ends of the AMNS & put it in the water pan ( no water ). Put a drip pan above it, with some chicken broth in it to catch the drippings & keep the AMNS dry. That was it. Did not check on it all afternoon, went to our community pool, went for a swim and laid in the sun for a couple of hours. Then did some errands. Checked on the chicken at about 4 hours. Looked good thru the window, but didn't open the door. TBS still coming out the top vent, and chicken had nice golden brown color. At about 5 hours decided to grab a beer & sit outside with smoker to watch pop-up. About 20 minutes later the pop-up popped. Let the chicken rest in foil for about 1/2 hour. It turned out to be very juicy, with a nice smoke flavor. I know the flavor you get with a charcoal/wood smoker might be a little better, but the difference is not as great using the AMNS. I think it's because the smoke is so consistent. When I use chips or pellets I seem to get more smoke than I want or no smoke at all.The AMNS burned very evenly, both sides met right in the middle & burned all the dust. I had good smoke right from the start. Congrats Todd on making a great product. Sorry, no Q-view, but then everybody's seen a juicy smoked chicken, right!

You guys are testimonials to what Paul, Bear and I have been saying from the start. The AMS rocks with any smoker AND it is so dang easy to use. Thanks for the validation for the rest of the forum and good smoking

You guys are testimonials to what Paul, Bear and I have been saying from the start. The AMS rocks with any smoker AND it is so dang easy to use. Thanks for the validation for the rest of the forum and good smoking

LOL---That proves we weren't BSing all this time !  
icon_cool.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky