Just had to do it....

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by vulcan75001, Jan 19, 2007.

1. vulcan75001

vulcan75001 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ok...With everyone talking about making jerky..I couldn't resist anymore..and just had to make another batch...I like to use either a top round or bottom round london broil...which ever is on sale...this one was a 2# top round....for the seasoning I have a variety of the Hi Mountain jerky seasonings..and I used the original blend....my favorite one is the mandarin teriyaki blend....so far...I have a dehydrator, but I don't like the way the jerky comes out....so I made some racks to go into the oven....much better...

These are the racks...
    [​IMG]

Racks all loaded ready to go into the oven
    [​IMG]

Racks in the oven....they clip onto the side rails that hold the oven racks
    [​IMG]

Two of my helpers...Where did the goodies go?
    [​IMG]

My other two helpers..
    [​IMG]

Is it done yet?
    [​IMG]

All done...cooling off a little
    [​IMG]

Ready to pack up...after a few samples of course...
    [​IMG]

2. vulcan75001

Randy.. thanks...
    Oh yes, they all got a little sample...
    I had the oven at 200*, and cooked it for 1 1/4 hour...the texture is great...not a break your tooth kind...I get the meat pretty cold in the freezer, so I can get it sliced thin....aprox..1/8~3/16" thick...I slice it with a knife....also keep the oven door cracked open a little so any moisture can escape...

Later
    Richard

3. vulcan75001

Randy...

The rods are 3/8" stainless steel...the blocks I used for the spacers are 3/4"X 3/8" stainless steel...I measured the distance from one side of the oven rail that holds the regular oven rack to the other side...used that measurement to cut rods and for the placement of the " L" shaped spacer/end ...so now the inside measurement between "L" shaped ends is the same as the distance of the oven rails...maybe "clip" was the wrong word... the rods now "hang" onto each side without falling off...everything is all welded so nothing can fall apart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps ya some

Later
    Richard

4. vulcan75001

Randy..
    Hope I may have helped ya some... at least give you a few ideas..welding...thats the easy part of it all...

Later
    Richard