Just got a batch of High Mountian cures/rubs.. what do I do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikes30911

Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I just purchased a few different packs of the High Mountain  jerky cures. I was woundering do i just need to sprinkle the cure onto the meat and keep in fridge for 24 hours , or can I also use a wet marinade and put the cure in there? Also for best quality which cut of meat should I select? i was told inner round is good , is that so?  Thanks!

I have never used that. What does the instructions say ? I would not think that you would just sprinkle it on top. Got to get it all mixed in to do any good.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I personally don't do alot of jerky but when I do I like to use a lesser cut like a flank steak or a sirloin is good too.

The instructions say that I have to rub it into the meat , put in a zip lock and let it set overnight for 24 hours. It dose not say anything about using or not using any wet ingreediants in the marinade/mixture so I guess it just needs to be rubbed and set in the fridge untill ready to be smoked/dried out. 

Last edited:
When you are referring to high mountain packet of  cure do you mean the packages of seasoning you can buy from them and then they also have a little package of cure the comes with them. When you say cure its confusing as cure is actually what you use in the meat to keep bacteria from growing when you are in the smoking/cooking process. I am guessing you are talking about the packages of seasoning they sell that also come with a little package of cure. I just wanted to make sure we understand where you are coming from.

Yeah 'm talking abut both, the seasoning and the cure. Example i'm going to use the Origonal one for my first batch. Do I just apply it to the meat dry , or  do i need to make a marinade for the meat then apply both to the marinadide in a zip lock bag and let it stay in the fridge for 24-48 hours before smoking?

Since different cures require different methods. Always follow the directions on the cure that you are using.

Omg.. this is the best beef jerky I have ever eaten. I'm seriously  gonna eat the whole dam 2 bags I made. The Kids love it. My Friends love it. It was so darn good. I made both the Jalapino and Origonal form High Mountan and let it marinate in the fridge for 2 days. I would say its a tad bit to salty so i'll use less spice mixture next time , but all together its the best darn jerky i ever ever ate. I am very proud of myself thanks to you guys. On a sad note. My bradley burner burnt out , but i finished drying it off in the oven no big deal.  Now the question is how long dose this stuff last in the fridge? If i vaccum seal it how long will it last , dose it have to be frozen? 

Thanks Guys! 

sounds like doing it by the book was the thing to do......a man reading directions first?  Still can't believe it

If vacumn sealed and in fridge I'd say at least a month if you used their cure with the seasoning pack. Many guys will make a lot at one time & then vac/freeze. I usually make enuf to eat without having to freeze any. 3 weeks out on the counter with no problem is about all it lasts. I use london broil for my jerky, very little fat and fairly even shape for slicing.

yeah,  i'm trying to make this  last but its just to darn good!  So  1 month is its life span , non frozen. Good to know , and yes i used the cure when I made it. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky