Just getting started

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rockyb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Lecanto, Florida
Hello. My name is Rocky. I have lived in Lecanto, Florida, for a year now. Transplanted from the Philadelphia, PA area. I'm a female, retired
icon_mrgreen.gif
, and member Scotty is my "significant other".
icon_wink.gif

We are enjoying getting acquainted with smoking meats. I have looked up a lot of recipes, and find that there is no end to what you can do.

We already have become quite knowledgeable with making wines and sausage. Soon we will be getting into making cheese.

So far we have smoked a brisket, which came out excellent. We are smoking a pork butt today. Next we will be smoking a pastrami, which has soaked in brine for a week and is now curing in a juniper berry rub for the next couple of weeks, and a buckboard bacon recipe of "Bill's". I am anxious to see how it all comes out, not to mention the good eating that comes along with it.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Has anyone made a pastrami yet? I haven't had a lot of time to read all the forums, but I will get with it soon.

We expect to be at the "smoke out" next week. Hope to meet a lot of you good folks there.

welcome to SMF Rocky, It seems that you got a handle on things. I am looking forwrd to making pastrami myself. I believe deejaydebbi has made it before. Don't forget the Q-view.

Welcome to the forum.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I guess if everyone's current plans hold up, I will meet you next Saturday the FL Griller's place.

I know there are several pastrami recipes around, but since you asked about them I will post the one I use for your viewing.

PASTRAMI

1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup black peppercorns
4 tbs coriander seeds
2 tbs juniper berries
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp dry ginger

1 brisket flat, well trimmed, about 5 or 6 lbs.

1 qt beef broth
2 cups water, or 12 oz water + bottle of beer
4 tbs pickling spices
4 bay leaves
2 tbs additional juniper berries
2 tbs additional black peppercorns

Place peppercorns, coriander seeds and juniper berries in a spice grinder or strong blender. Give them a quick whirl so that all is crushed to approximate size of salt. Mix the salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger with the seasonings from the grinder.

Reserve 1/4 of the seasonings. Rub the flat thoroughly on all sides with seasonings. Wrap in saran wrap, then aluminum foil. Place in a glass pan in the refrigerator. Turn daily for at least one week, up to two weeks is better. Remove brisket from all wrappings. Place on rack in pan so it can drain, and put uncovered in refrigerator for at least four hours, or overnight, until very dry.

Prepare smoker to run at 200 deg, or lower (preferable). Remove from refrigerator and place cold in the smoker. Smoke brisket between two and three hours depending on strength of wood used at lowest temperature you can still get smoke.

Remove pastrami from smoker and place in kettle just large enough to hold it. Cover the pastrami with a broth made from stock and water, stock, water and beer. Add the reserved rub, the pickling spice, the bay leaves, the additional juniper berries, and the additional black peppercorns.

Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer until the meat is tender. 2-1/2 - 3 hours.

Remove from water and slice, as thin as you can, across the grain, on the bias.

Hello Rocky glad to have you here on the SMF, I'm stuck here in Philly right now. But now that I found this fourm it's not to bad. Hope to see more of you here.

Nice to have you here, RockyB!!

Enjoy!!

Yeah, but it won't taste the same. I will bring you some next Saturday........as long as I remember to..........might want to reminde me.
icon_redface.gif

Rocky, welcome to the SMF, the hottest smokin' site on the net.

EX-MARINE!!!
icon_evil.gif
Once a Marine, Always a Marine or Not as Mean, Not as Lean but stil a US Marine!

Semper Fi to both Rocky's!!!
Women Marines, Fewer, Prouder!
icon_smile.gif

Welcome Rocky -

I glad you decided to join us. You love the group here we're all a bit crazy sometimes.

You can skip the juniper berries but as someone said it won't tates the same even though they are very mild tasting. I do know a few people that do skip them though and they still like it. I think you'll enjoy it more if you used them.

Fatback -

Where ever did you find a pastrami recipe that uses ginger? Chinese pastrami?

We got a pound of Juniper Berries on line at a reasonable price. I read that they were used by the Romans in place of pepper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky