Just finished first set of Pork ribs, asking for help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wellcraft69

Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I literally just got done eating my first set of ribs out of the smoker.  The taste was fantastic, but they were not as tender as I would have hoped.  Smoker temped at 215-225 for the majority of the 6 hours they were in the smoker.  I did not use a ton of water, in fact I never had to refill the pan.  Ribs hit 170 about 3 hrs into the smoke and stayed there or up at 171 for the remaining 3 hours.  the meat was good meat not junk, but I just cant figure out why they were not real juicy or tender.  I used the two middle racks, any  help is appreciated!!

I would say that you might have needed a touch higher temps. Maybe try for a 225-230 deg. range, 215 is on the low side IMO. Also, foiling with juice is another option that I'd suggest for part of the cook 1-2 hrs. about a couple of hours in.

Last edited:
Sorry you 2 have had a tough smoke.

I don't many BBs,mostly spares.

I use lots of water in the pan and keep to the listed hours with no problems.

Are you sure your temps were running near 230??

Sounds like overcooked to me.

CRaig

Last edited:
Most here use the 3-2-1 (or 2-2-1 for bb ribs)  3 hours @ 225 smoking, 2 hours in foil, spay with some apple juice  before foil, this is what makes them tender, then an hour to firm back up.  Try this next time.  Also sign up for the free 5 day e-course on smoking. You will learn a lot

Thanks so much for the info.  When you spray with apple juice then foil do you seal them in foil for the next two hours at 225?, and in the last hour at 225 as well?  Again thanks, I will get on the course.

Thanks so much for the info.  When you spray with apple juice then foil do you seal them in foil for the next two hours at 225?, and in the last hour at 225 as well?  Again thanks, I will get on the course.
it will be 2 hours in foil with a good spray of apple juice than after the 2 hours are up take out of foil  and put on rack for last hour to firm them up a bit.. hope this helps ya.. good  luck on next smoke.

Thanks for your help, sealed in foil or just laying on the foil, sorry I am new to the rib deal.  thanks

When you foil the give em good splash of juice then seal them up good to help steam them,then after the 2 hrs. take them out and back on the smoker to firm them back up a bit.

Thanks so much for your help, all at 225?  good splash=1/2 cup?   If I prepare them to eat later what is the best way to store them and re-heat?

half cup might be alittle too much??? maybe quarter cup  on the heavy side..just use good jugement...yout not trying to boil the ribs!!LOL

LOL, very funny NO boiling!!  Racks were pretty long so I was not sure of the amount...All at 225? 3-2-1?

ok, just got done wiht another test rack.  Ran the 3-2-1, much better!!!!  tender but not too moist, I may have run  them in the foil a bit longer than an hour as I got called to work for a bit, but only a half hour long.....ran about 230 for the entire time....maybe a bit high?  it was -29 ( I like to smoke if I will do it that cold) here this am so it was a bit tricky holding the temp right at 225.  Any suggestions, I was using spare ribs.  They turned out good.  I cut the rack in half and did wrap them separate, one was a ton more tender so that was a mystery as well.  Used tha apple juice about a couple teaspoons, sprayed on.

sorry did not take one....newbie...next time for sure.  Were a bit dry any ideas?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky