Just doing a little work around the "house" this weekend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
SEUSA
Well actually started Thursday night with a lot of prep work.

10 lbs of bottom round sliced up for some jerky.
20 lbs of pork butt cubed, cured and seasoned.

Yesterday I smoked the jerky, ground and stuffed the sausage to be smoked today. Also set aside 3 lbs of the ground pork for some more breakfast sausage (haven't got around to mixing it yet)!

What do you do with all those little bits and pieces of jerky meat when you take it out of the marinade?

Fry it up and have it for breakfast!

Reactions: disco
Looks tasty Dave. Got about 2 more degrees and I'll pull my sausages and cool them! Maybe a piece will fall off and have to be tasted!

Beautiful color.  What kind of marinade did you use for the jerkey?  Mine turns out very dark brown in color as I use soy and worcheshire along with smoke the whole time.

Last edited:
Looks outstanding
thumb1.gif

Thanks Everyone!!!

Beautiful color.  What kind of marinade did you use for the jerkey?  Mine turns out very dark brown in color as I use soy and worcheshire along with smoke the whole time.

I used Walton's Bold Jerky Seasoning. I made some a few weeks ago with Walton's Cajun Jerky Seasoning and it came out looking just the same, just different flavor. I really like the Walton's seasonings,
Here's a piece I did a few weeks ago:

Well I've been wanting to try blanching my sausage and today I got forced into it. I had to go to an Eagle Scout Ceremony this afternoon and when I got back the house was at 120* when it should have been ramping to 160*. The circuit breaker had tripped so I reset it and a few minutes later it tripped again. The sausage had been in the smoke a little over 4 hours and the IT was just over 100*. I pulled out my stock pot which I didn't think would be big enough but it worked. Heated some water to 165* and started dropping them in. I was surprised how fast they got to 152*, only about 10 minutes so into the ice bath they went. They lost a lot of color in the water but it looks to be coming back as they hang. I think I like this blanching thing, it cut 3 to 4 hours off the cook time!

Well I've got some electrical troubleshooting to do so I'll see y'all later!

All the way in the house, I don't even have a dehydrator!

I bought a 20a breaker because I was going to wire everything in 12awg wire because it is plugged into a 20a circuit. When I cut the end off the cord of the element I found it was 14awg so I just wired everything in 14awg. The element is only 1500 watts. I was concerned about the 20a breaker being too big but it was all I had, was planning on changing it to a 15a because of my wire size. I haven't looked at it yet but I'm thinking it is just a bad breaker. It was cheap and I don't think it can handle the constant heat load. I had a switch burn up yesterday, again cheapo switch, I had a few more so I just swapped it out. I'm thinking I"m going to just upgrade to much better components, so much for being a cheapskate!!!

Thanks Todd! I still feel like I'm really struggling with the stuffing but it's getting better. Collagens are pretty easy but the hog casings have a big learning curve, a third hand would really help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky