Just a thought on chicken sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by pandemonium, Apr 24, 2010.

1. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

I was thinking about adding the bacon to the sausage, when i made Wutangs recipe it only used chicken thighs no bacon or breast meat and they didn't have that loose texture and they tasted just fine without the bacon so im wondering if the bacon makes the meat not stay together? I am gonna make another batch of the buffalo ones and just might not add the bacon to it, just seeing if anyone had a thought on it?

2. pandemonium

Ohh and finally my sams has big packs of boneless skinless thighs for like 1.89 lb wooot, will come out cheaper than deboning them myself by the time to take the skin off and all you loose alot of weight

3. scubadoo97

scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

Yes but you can use the bones for stock. That's not a bad price on boneless

4. nogoer

nogoer Meat Mopper

I just finished making my second attempt at apple chicken sausage. The first time they were very soft maybe even loose as you describe. At the time i had just attributed it to having used the kins for fat and not stuffing them tight enough.

This time i used pork fat and made sure i was stuffing well enough. I didn't realize the soft texture could be a normal issue?

5. pandemonium

the ones i just made using 7lbs of boneless skinless thighs and 1lb of bacon have a much better texture but i added 5 tbls oats so im not sure what made the difference.