JPs first smoke - pork butt with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbpace

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Germantown, TN
To inaugurate the newly customized and seasoned GOSM big block (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/64526/jps-gosm-build-mods), my wife & I decided to invite friends over for a Saturday night BBQ dinner. To prepare the meat I applied a generous (I think) portion of Jeff's Naked Rib Rub to a 7 lb pork butt after work Friday and put it in the refrigerator (pic is after taking it out the next morning):

Got up at 06:00 to start the smoker toward 225 degrees and had the butt in around 06:30. Smoking immediately began with hickory chips and I started hourly spritzing the meat with apple juice as soon as it reached 100 degrees. I just knew everything would be done for dinner at 18:30 [yes - I know what happens when you assume] because 1.5 * 7 = around 10.5 hours which would be 17:00.

I also smoked a fatty for breakfast and a bologna chub for lunch, but those are in their own section (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/65455/jps-first-smoke-fatty-bologna-with-q-view).

I took pictures of TBS, but the shutter speed was so fast the final pictures didn't show any smoke :-(.

I expected the temperature plateau to occur sometime after foiling at 165, as that's the order it's discussed in the SMF instructions I was using. Turns out it plateaued in the upper 140s for what seemed an eternity. When the meat was still cooking at 17:30 I knew it wouldn't be part of dinner. When our friends arrived at 18:30 we apologized, served the rest of the fatty and bologna chub and invited them back for Sunday BBQ lunch (glad they live nearby).

Soon after our friends left the meat was 165 & ready to foil. With rain in the forecast I finished in the oven after foiling. Temp finally reached 200 at 23:30. I wrapped it in towels and put it in a cooler for an hour. At 00:30 it literally fell apart when I took it out of the foil and pulled out the bone:

I decided to keep all the juices from the foil (above) to mix into the final product. It took about 30 minutes to pull the meat (with forks) and add some of SoFlaQuers finishing sauce. The results looked great (and what small samples I ate tasted great):

Given the hour I had to put it straight into the refrigerator and get some sleep. The next day we & our friends had to heat it in the microwave but it was still unbelievably good, and incredibly tender! I have to thank all of you for the advice you've contributed to this board that made this such a pleasant first experience.

Jon

Last edited:
looking good jon............looking good............tho, if you have some way to steam the pork, its even better, specially if you steam it with apple juice..........

once question tho

whats a port butt..........LOLOOLOL.........just kidding, sorry, couldn't resist

Yeah, that was the one typo it won't let me go back and correct
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Jon

yeah Jon...........feel your pain...........btdt..........heheheheh........i had to ask a mod to fix it for me............
biggrin.gif

Great looking first smoke Jon. Congrats on a job well done. Sometimes that time factor over runs meal time. You aren't the first one it has happened to and surly won't be the last. Thanks for the great Q-view and I know you will have many more to share with us.

Happy Smokin

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky