Jerky shrinkge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drifterdon

Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Black Diamond, Washington
Well I dug my 6 year old but brand new jerky gun out this weekend and made up some jerky in my dehydrator.

It tastes great but I was really surprised at how much it shrunk and also how much fat came out of it.

I used store bought lean ground beef from a local butcher but I don't know what the fat % was.

I was just wondering if I were to grind my own burger and keep all the fat out that I can, will it shrink less?

Thanks

Nope. You get about a 60%+ loss in weight when makng jerky, smoked fish etc. your basically sucking all the moisture (weight) out of the meat. Leaner meat will make a better product though. If you are getting white fat on the surface of your jerky you are smoking it too hot.

Last edited:
When i use lean i put it in parchment paper and i get a scary amount of fat leakege. Therefor i spend the extra moneny on extra lean and dab up fat as i see it with paper towel. There is a big % differnce from lean and extra lean i bought. Aslo. The extra lean tasted better to me and was easyer and quicker to dry in my smoker. Lean made a mess aswell

I like the ground turkey as it is super lean and really takes on the taste of whatever you add to it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky