Jerky Shelf Life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
I've seen some posts about people vac sealing and freezing jerky. How long can it just sit out in a ziploc bag? I would think a couple weeks at least since it has cure and smoke. I don't want to go through the trouble of sealing and freezing just to take it out a week later because I want some. Anyone ever have jerky spoil on them from being at room temp too long?

Moisture is the enemy. If you have any of those absorbant gel packs you can extend the shelf life buy a bunch 

Absorbent gel packs. That's funny. I got like 50 of them at work. They are kinda big though.

99ef8f4a_IMAG0359.jpg

I think every case is different...house temp, humidity, locale etc. I dry mine in a dehydrator pretty well, let cool and put in ziplocks on the counter not totally zipped closed & date the bags. I like spicy, GF likes mild so usually have 2 baggies out. The first day or two after making I leave a papertowel in the baggies to pick up any extra moisture that might form. I only make a coupla pounds at a time so usually by 2-3 weeks it's gone. I did leave a coupla pieces linger once for a 'test' and a very small spot of mold appeared after a month on one piece. I have not jerked any in the oven or smoker so can't comment on those methods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky