Jerk Chicken Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PIT Shawn

Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Ogden, UT
I love my gas grill jerk chicken recipe but want to try it on my OK Joe Bronco this weekend. I marinate chicken bone-in thighs and/or quarters in orange pineapple juice, jerk seasoning, s/p, thyme, and red pepper flakes. What type of wood would work well with this sweet, yet spicy flavoring? I have chunks of hickory, mesquite and Apple on hand. For charcoal I will be using B&B briquettes.
Thanks for any advice and pardon any ignorance as I’m only 6 smokes into this, but enjoying the process and results!

apple this time. hickory might over power the jerk flavors unless they are really bold. sounds like it will be good regardless

For chicken no wood at all, just the flavor from the charcoal does the trick.
It's super easy to overpower yardbird with wood smoke, even very mild wood smoke.
If you watch videos of real jerk chicken the use hot coals not burning wood.

Reactions: PIT Shawn
PIMENTO wood is Traditional for heat and Smoke flavor. You can order it Online, if you want the real deal. Pimento Wood's flavor is closest to Fruit Wood, Apple is a good substitute, but a little more Pungent than fruit wood...JJ

I use pimento pellets for my Jerk chicken and they give the chicken a peppery flavor. If I had to substitute, I would use apple and mesquite or cherry and mesquite...

My $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky