JarJar Mini (Jumbo ) Build w/Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarjarchef

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2010
Central Florida
I was finally able to get things together to do my build. I will put as much details into the thread as I can think of. if I miss something you want info on please ask. The only reason i was able to complete and do this build was because others helped me. I will have a couple things that are little different. So here we go......

Supplies List:

1ea          Jumbo Joe Grill     $60.00

1ea          80 QT Stainless Steel Pot (Bought from EBay, PM me if you want the link)   $110.00

2ea          Charcoal Grates (for a Weber 22" Grill)   $10.99ea

1ea           6' Shelf Bracket (the coating will have to be burned off)    $2.98

1pk           Clips 12ct (the coating will have to be burned off)     $2.98

2ea           All Thread 1/4"x12"     $1.07ea

1ea           Expanded Metal 12"x24" (there are a couple different gages of metal. I went with the thicker one)    $16.99 Tractor Supply 

10'            Wire (To be used for the charcoal basket. I used what we had)

1pk           SS Pan Phillips Machine Bolts 1/4" - 20 x 2 1/2" 4ct (3" would work a little better)     $1.98

1pk           SS Pan Philips Machine Bolt 1/4" - 20 x 3/4" 6ct     $1.98

1pk           SS Acorn Nuts 1/4" - 20 3ct     $1.98

2pk           SS Hex Nuts 1/4" - 20 10ct     $1.98ea

1pk           SS Lock Washers 1/4" 12ct     $1.98

3ea           Black Steel Pipe Nipple 3/4"     $1.00ea

3pk           Conduit Lock-nut Steel 3/4" 2ct     $0.48ea

2ea           Black Cap 3/4"     $1.45

1ea           Ball Valve 3/4"     $11.12

1ea           High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker (Food Grade)     $8.13 Amazon

1ea           Adjustable Dial Thermometer 2" (River Country)     $16.95 Amazon

So total cost was $272.49.

Before people start with the you could have bought an 18" WSM for a little more. The WSM will not be as flexible as mine will be. I also spent a little more on a few things that don't have to be bought like the adjustable brackets, levers for the vents and the charcoal grates for the shelves. However I like having the heavier duty shelves. You can also save a bit on the pot if you can find a 30 gallon steel drum with the correct measurements, they vary slightly, but you will need to cut it down to size. I would highly recommend for you to make one if the true mini is a bit too small for you. I will be making a true mini for my dad for Christmas.

Equipment:

Tape Measure

Seamstress Tape Measure

Marker

Masking Tape

Speed Square

Drill

1/4" Drill Bit (Get one that is for drilling hard metals)

1/2" Drill Bit (Get one that is for drilling hard metals)

1" Drill Bit (Get one that is for drilling hard metals)

Center Punch

Hammer

Vice

Dremel Tool

Cut off Wheel

Grinding Wheel

Jigsaw

Jigsaw Blade (on for cutting hard metals)

Lubricant for cutting the metal

Pliers

Screw Drivers

Beer

While I was waiting on some parts to show up and the time to work on the build outside. I mocked up several of the cuts and holes to be drilled. The outer circle was made with the charcoal grate that came with the grill. The center circle was made with the ash pan for the grill. I measured to try and center as best possible.

For the holes on the sides. I ran a strip of tape around the top of the pot. Then found the center between the handles. At that point I measured around the pot and divided the number by 3. The measured from the center mark in either direction for the other 2 marks. I ran 2 strips of tape the length of the pot to draw a line on for the bracket mounting holes. I used the speed square to draw a square straight line down the pot. From the bottom I market a spot at 2" and from the top I lined up the hole with the top grommet for the handles on the pot (I even had a win with the fact the holes lined up with the shelf brackets.)

I used the center punch to make a starter dimple for the drill bit. After drilling I used the dremel with a grinding tip to smooth out the burs.

To cut out the bottom I got a little creative with my process. I wanted to save the bottom for another build, so did not want to drill a hole to put the jigsaw blade in. So I used the cutoff wheel to make 3 small cuts. I then cut along the line to about 1/4" before the next score. Then remove the saw and start cutting again. the reason for this is by the time you get past half way the center will vibrate uncontrollably. Then I used the cut off wheel to finish off the last little bit. Then ground the burs again with the grinding wheel and dremel.

I then cut the shelf brackets down to size, ground the edges and drilled the holes for mounting bolts. As I write this it is raining out and not able to burn off the coating. Tomorrow hopefully......

I mocked up the pot with the brackets and clips to see how the grate would sit. I must say I am very happy with it. I know many will just run bolts through the pot to sit the grates on. That works very well, but I wanted to have adjustable shelving.

For the thermometer I wanted it on the lid, not the pot. I will be making an insert that will be a pizza oven and I use a digital thermometer for temp monitoring during my smokes. So I centered the hole with the front of the lid and measured up 2" from the top of the lip on the lid. Drilled the 1/2" hole and mounted the thermometer. I put a very small amount of RVT on the outside to seal the small gaps.

I did calibrate the thermometer last night. Got it to with in a couple degrees, again it is only used as a guide.

I attached the lid handle. Sealed with a small amount of RVT on the outside.

For the top vent I wanted an additional handle to make it easier to adjust and to match the bottom vent. I used 1/4" all thread for this. I bent the all thread and drilled a hole in the stock handle. Using 1/4" hex nuts i placed one on the top of the vent and used stock nut and washer to mount the vent. Where I ran the all thread through the handle i placed a hex nut on either side and tightened. I painted with high heat paint. I still need to find something for the end of the all thread handle.

For the bottom vent I did the same process as the top vent.

I decided to run with 2 capped vents and 1 ball valve, all 3/4". I lined up the 2 outside holes for the capped vents with the front legs of the grill and centered the hole for the ball valve. It was a bit unnerving hearing the powder coating cracking after using the center punch. After drilling the 3ea 1" holes I had to clean them up a bit with the grinding tip and dremel. Placed 1 steel pipe nipple into each hole and locked with the lock nuts. I also placed RVT on the outsides to seal. The ball valve was a bit tricky because the nipple did not go far enough in and the lock nut did not take up the slack. So I used a washer on the back to take up the extra gap.

For the charcoal basket I did pretty much the same as most do. I cut the 2 strips of expanded metal and used wire to tie them to the stock charcoal grate.

More to come after I get the brackets burned off and installed. Hopefully the weather will cooperate........

This is a bad picture, but it will give some reference....

Last edited:
Wow, great build.

I think I know where you got the pizza part from.

Wow, great build.

I think I know where you got the pizza part from.

Thank you.

I saw last year an after market pizza oven gizmo for the jumbo joe online. That sold me on making one. Then a couple were recently put on SMF and that put me over the top.

Thats an awesome build. Can't wait to see it fired up

If I wasn't going to build a smoke house , I would build a jumbo.

Hello Chef.  Long time no speak.  Hope you and those you love are well.  Great looking build.  Like the adjustable grill idea.  Glad to see you finally had the time to get 'er done.  Waiting to see some fine looking meals from that smoker.

Danny

If I wasn't going to build a smoke house , I would build a jumbo.

Part of the reason I built this one was my smokehouse is a bit big for daily use here. But both projects are fun.

Thats an awesome build. Can't wait to see it fired up

Thank you. Just waiting on weather. With all the rain am starting to think I needed to build a boat.

LOL..... ADDICTED!

JarJar that is a great looking job, Really well thought out and excuted. So now burn some meat!

Congrats!

Thank you.

Isn't mini jumbo an oxymoron?

:points:

That is what I thought, but I guess it is the BIG brother in the family.

Hello Chef.  Long time no speak.  Hope you and those you love are well.  Great looking build.  Like the adjustable grill idea.  Glad to see you finally had the time to get 'er done.  Waiting to see some fine looking meals from that smoker.
Danny

Hey Danny. Things are good. Part of what took me so long was the adjustable part. When I found grates and the brackets it all fell into place. I have never really liked the flimsy cook grates they put on this stlye of grill. They dont sear and they bend real easily. I was looking into some cast iron grates someone told me about that is used on the small sized BGE, but those are $100ish each, not good for me. So I was walking through Home Depot and saw the replacement charcoal grate and the light bulb went on. I had already found the brackets and clips earlier in the day at Lowes. I had been talking with FWIsmoker about the SS pot and he was kind enough to talk on the phone and answered several questions I had. I do have plans to make some modifications with some equipment I already have to also make this a cold smoker as well. I am sitting on 10 pounds of cheese that needs to be smoked........

Thank you all for looking and the kind words.

Last edited:
Isn't mini jumbo an oxymoron?

points.gif
It's a "Jimmy"  aka jumbo mini 
biggrin.gif

Great job Jar!    I'm sure you'll have some tweaks and modifications but it looks fantastic.    Now start getting it dirty!   Keith

It's a "Jimmy"  aka jumbo mini :biggrin:

Great job Jar!    I'm sure you'll have some tweaks and modifications but it looks fantastic.    Now start getting it dirty!   Keith

Thank you for your help. It made the process much easier.

I finally got the coating off the brackets and clips. It took over 2hrs. After I make dinner I will assemble the pot. Tomorrow I'll have more pics of the final steps and the first burn as a complete unit. It is a busy week for work and volleyball, so maybe Friday will be first cook. I am thinking I will cook everything. Some beef, chicken and lots of pork! The local farmers will have to watch their flocks this week....

Last edited:
Great Looking smoker! In my UDS I used the shelf brackets to make adjustable racks. they are also used so I can adjust the height of my charcoal basket if I want.

So did you also do a cost break down? How much did it all cost?

That is some beautiful work! Too bad you Food don't come out that good...
ROTF.gif
 You da man...JJ

Great post , Jarjar . picked up a few ideas for a grill I found...

Have fun playing , and . . .

Thank you. Yes it seems this place is a good one to find ideas. I would never of thought of making one of these if it had not been for the members sharing. I am glad that I was able to share and give some ideas.

Great Looking smoker! In my UDS I used the shelf brackets to make adjustable racks. they are also used so I can adjust the height of my charcoal basket if I want.

So did you also do a cost break down? How much did it all cost?

Thank you. I am looking forward to Friday so I can try it out.

I will update later this week when I get a bit more time and get a final cost.

That is some beautiful work! Too bad you Food don't come out that good...:ROTF  You da man...JJ

Yes Chef I am still learning. What ever happened to the cooking lessons you were going to give? Did you get scared? :biggrin:

Thank you so much for posting this.  I've been searching for what size steamer to use with a mini-jumbo so I could build one to take camping with us, but have been unsuccessful in finding it.  I guess I didn't look hard enough.  This has been saved.  It really looks great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky