James from Phoenix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrangler

Original poster
May 5, 2008
Now that I know this roll call forum is here, I'll add a little background.

I am in the market to get a smoker for home. My previous experience was helping a friend a few times with his large wood smoker he has used in Texas contests (holds 30 butts) and a commercial pit we borrowed and did 1300 pounds of butts on (a sleepless weekend, but really fun). We gave all the meat away on a Easter Sunday to about 4500 people.

I feel I have a clue now, and am looking for a smoker at for home, I just need a reasonable good propane model. The wife has a say on the budget....oh well.

James

Welcome aboard! Just do your research and get the best one you can get for what you want it for and the wife's budget allows! You'll find a lot of users in here that turn out some great Q on a low budget rig. Ain't a lot of need for a 50 butt fig if 51 of your weeks are smoking in the back yard!

Wrangler, welcome to the site. I will agree with Seboke. Do the homework, and read what the real users have to say. Then I recommend going to HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart. Get your hands on them and see which you like, and check pricing. Oh yeah dont for get about the local gracery store, they carry grills and such this time of year. I bought my smoker at Lowes and then saw it at the grocery for $30.00 cheaper the next day. It didn't dawn on me to even look there.

Welcome aboard..................Glad to have you here................Lots of great smokers out there.............Just do your research and you will find a good one in your budget................

Hey Wrangler,

Get that first smoker going and feed the wife some smoked Q and she will be easier to pursuade that ya need better smoker. Good luck.

Welcome James. My suggestion to you is to watch Craigslist for the smokers that show up. I picked up an Oklahoma Joe's Vertical roaster with a propane burner in it from a guy in Scottsdale for $75 and an Oklahoma Joe's horizontal offset unit in Gilbert for $80. If your budget allows, Sportsman's Warehouse carries the Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18 and 24. The 18 inch wide is $199.99 and the 24 inch model is $289.99. I'm saving my pennies for the 24.

Thanks for all the responses! I am having fun doing the research, and I should mention, due to the awesome quality of the butts on the "real" rigs, my wife is totally behind me getting a backyard smoker. With a small budget...hee hee.

I made a couple butts on my Ducane Southfork grill so she can see what a grill creates when used as a smoker. It came out rather good, but not as juicy or great like from the "real" rigs. Not to mention is was a pain in the butt (pun intended) to try to maintain the heat and so on. It's not worth the time to go down this path again.

Also in my background, I have spent a bunch of money on home brewing equipment. I have created some brews which have won contests and medals. I even used the Russian Imperial Stout as a base for a BBQ sauce.
It's fun to quality assurance test both bbq meats and home brew!

James

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky