Jambalaya (Zatarain’s One-Pot)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Jambalaya (Zatarain’s One-Pot)

I never made anything like this before, so I had to give it a Go. Go Easy on Me!!
Pretty Darn Good too, so I guess I’ll be using the other 2 boxes I got with this one. (3 boxes for $6.72)
I’ve often admired things like this coming from Louisiana, Texas, and other places way down there, so I found this one that looked easy enough, even for Me to try.

Note: This is their “Low Sodium” Mix.

So We followed the directions & dumped the whole Box in a Pot of Water, brought it to a Boil & then to Simmer.
Then We added 14.5 ounces of sliced up Smoked Sausage.
After that cooked for a good while, we added a 14.5 ounce can of Hunts Diced Tomatoes.
This ended up making a pretty big batch of some darn good tasting stuff!!!

All I had to do was add some Frank’s Hot Sauce to mine, once I got it plated. Wouldn’t want anything Hot to find it’s way to Mrs Bear’s Plate.

Thanks For Stopping by, and Enjoy the Pics below:

Bear

Ingredients Ready & Waiting:
IMG_4705.jpg

Turned My Breading Machine into a Sausage Slicer:
IMG_4706.jpg

Just dumped the box in---Nothing Swelled up yet:
IMG_4707.jpg

Sausage is in & being stirred. Diced Maters added too:
IMG_4708.jpg

Everything is swelling up now:
IMG_4709.jpg

Bear's First Plate:
IMG_4710.jpg

Bear's second helping in a Bowl to stay hot longer. Added some Frank's Too!!
IMG_4712.jpg

I know what you mean; the boxed Louisiana mixes can be pretty darn good. I’ve done a couple gumbo mixes and wasn’t disappointed even though I’d normally steer away from a box mix.

Looks great Bear! Nothing wrong with the box mixes at all...Matter if fact they are pretty darn good! That sausage looks yummy also! Like!

What's not to be happy about with that Bear, looks great, Like! Whatever happened with that Chucky you were doing on the sous vide for Sunday dinner Bear? I kept looking didn't see a darned thing. RAY

I never made anything like this before, so I had to give it a Go. Go Easy on Me!!
Pretty Darn Good too,
That's got my mouth watering . Just had the Jambalaya over the weekend , and have 6 boxes of their other flavors in the pantry . Gumbo , red beans and black beans and rice .
That's a great meal right there .

What's not to be happy about with that Bear, looks great, Like! Whatever happened with that Chucky you were doing on the sous vide for Sunday dinner Bear? I kept looking didn't see a darned thing. RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Sorry, We're still eating Leftovers of that Chucky!!
Be a week or so until I get all the notes & Pics together & downloaded.
Sorry for the wait, but it will be worth it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

LIKE I am going to try this. I've made it a bunch of times a a few ways and I thought it kinda lacked. I wondered if adding some tomatoes would do it, and this confirms that.

Slowly but surely were gunna convert you over. Good Stuff, It's starting to be Craw fish season here another tasty dish (Dishes)

Nice Job my friend

Gary

Looks great Bear! I may have to grab a box and try it out. Is it spicy? Just curious for the kids sake. I might have to add some shrimp as well.

Looks great Bear! I like that stuff too. My favorite way is with some chicken, lil smokies, shrimp, and bay scallops or fake crab. Instead of diced tomatoes. I'll add a jar of med. heat salsa.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks good Bear!! You're right, that is pretty darned good stuff. It's a great thing to have around for a quick meal that's tasty. We keep several boxes on hand at all times. Don't make it very often but it sure is nice to have around on those days when I actually have to work.

Bear, I gotta tell you sir, I love the versatility of your breading machine / slicer. I'd say that was probably one of the best things that ever came into your life. If you take good care of them, you know they will last a long time :emoji_wink:

Not telling him anything he doesn't already know,
Robert

Looks great Bear! Nothing wrong with the box mixes at all...Matter if fact they are pretty darn good! That sausage looks yummy also! Like!

Thank You Saint!!
I know I sure liked it !!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That's got my mouth watering . Just had the Jambalaya over the weekend , and have 6 boxes of their other flavors in the pantry . Gumbo , red beans and black beans and rice .
That's a great meal right there .

Thank You Rich!!
I was checking out a lot of various box items from Zatarain's.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Years ago I made my jambalaya with that box mix. I'm originally from Montana and my parents wouldn't eat the local food. I liked it so I used Zatarains boxes and would put in fresh tomatoes, onions and bell peppers for my jambalaya and it was pretty damn good.

So....
I'm going easy on you 'cause you did say you never made anything like this before and you might be getting hooked on good Louisiana food.

Zatarains is a well known brand. But the jambalaya it makes is nowhere near the real thing, trust me.
It's so easy to just do it from scratch and 1000 times better.
There are 2 types of jambalaya, red and brown < brown is cajun jambalaya, red is creole.
I like brown but both are good. Red, Creole jambalaya has tomatoes in it.

Jambalaya has few ingredients.
For the herbs, onions, bell peppers, parsely, garlic, green onions, and some use celery and bay leaves.
Do a search for "John Besh: New Orleans' Best Jambalaya | National Geographic", he does a few video versions of it online and gives you the basics for this dish. Bacon, Bacon, Bacon......
My farvorite is brown with Tasso, smoked boneless chicken thighs, and andouille sausage. MMMMMM did I say Bacon ?
Make it from scratch and you will never ever use a box again.

I'm about 20 miles fron New Orleans and cook it about 20 times a year. like most of us in the south, our jambalya is never the same but always good.

Hint, until you get good at it use par boiled rice. It's a liquid to rice ratio thing.
Much better with regular long grain, but par boiled is very forgiving. I also use a little "Kitchen Bouquet" in my brown jambalaya. Another hint, Most recipies have creole seasoning in them, if you use Tasso most of the seasoning is already there, Might need a teaspoon of extra seasoning.
Regular smoked sausage is just a good as andouille in jambalya.

The jambalaya in the pic is andouille only, ran out of smoked chicken thighs. :(
It's a comfort food, use what you have.

I do use some "boxed" / starter stuff. The gumbo was made with Blue Runner gumbo base in a can. Hard to tell the difference. Chicken, shrimp, tasso, and sausage, really good stuff.

Attachments

• jambalya.jpg
    jambalya.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 12
  • gumbo...jpg
    gumbo...jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
LIKE I am going to try this. I've made it a bunch of times a a few ways and I thought it kinda lacked. I wondered if adding some tomatoes would do it, and this confirms that.

Thank You Sam!!
We enjoyed it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I've made this a few times. I used andouille sausage and added large shrimp and some chicken breast.
Mmmmm good.

Thank You!!

Bear

Looks good Bear! It’s been a while since I made it, I prefer the low sodium one too. I like to add a jar of homemade canned stewed tomatoes.

like!

Looks great Bear you can add more than one kind of meat.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Slowly but surely were gunna convert you over. Good Stuff, It's starting to be Craw fish season here another tasty dish (Dishes)

Nice Job my friend

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Crawfish up here aren't worthy of Human Consumption.
They Make Great Smallmouth Bass Bait, though!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky