Jambalaya Basic w/ Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you enjoy cooking, its always fun and never hard, just sometimes a bit challenging to learn.

Heck BDSkelly can now do jambalaya and gumbos just like a real coonazz. Its all about fresh, and the tastes you like.
Only because of you Kev. Truth is ....follow Kevs recipes and your life will improve.
Fresh Fresh Fresh. And ..by the way... it takes 2 beers time to make a proper medium dark roux.
Very proud to be designated as an Irish / Coonazz. An honor. Worked hard to get there!Thanks Kev. B

Thanks for the post Foam! My Dad has been wanting jambalaya for a while now... he spent a bit of time down in Louisiana & loved the food! Thanks to you, I was able to make some good ol jambalaya for him last night! I appreciate ya sharing your knowledge with us!

I was rereading your jambalaya thread for about the umpteenth time and stopped cold at the quote below...

BTW a Yankee is anyone that lives north of Interstate 10.

It's no wonder the South lost..... LOL......

Interstate -10.png

Only because of you Kev. Truth is ....follow Kevs recipes and your life will improve.
Fresh Fresh Fresh. And ..by the way... it takes 2 beers time to make a proper medium dark roux.
Very proud to be designated as an Irish / Coonazz. An honor. Worked hard to get there!Thanks Kev. B

Your kidding me , right? Irish in New Orleans? Whats the biggest bar in the quarter? Pat O'briens, that's a good Germany bar right? How can you think Cajun without Catholics and we all know about Irish Catholics. Heck used the be the biggest partys were always held in the Irish Channel (best fights too!)!

Thanks for the post Foam! My Dad has been wanting jambalaya for a while now... he spent a bit of time down in Louisiana & loved the food! Thanks to you, I was able to make some good ol jambalaya for him last night! I appreciate ya sharing your knowledge with us!

You are mostest welcome, I always assumed it was why we all shared. Glad to help with your father's Day. I am sure you had your sous chefs in there helping you. Thats the best Fathers day present I can imagine.

Next you'll have to fix him a gumbo!

I was rereading your jambalaya thread for about the umpteenth time and stopped cold at the quote below...

It's no wonder the South lost..... LOL......

View attachment 367693

Lost! Thats cheatin drunk Grant told Lee he was a blacksmith and would sharpen Lee's sword for him. He took his sword and sneaked out the back door!

That was a FANTASTIC post Kev. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it--both the history and the how-to. Definitely puts a whole new slant on how I'll be making mine in the future. Yours sounds a whole lot better than what I've cobbled together in the past.
'Fraid I have to agree with Dave. Ain't much space south of I-10. LOL
Most Point Worthy post I've read in a long time.
Thanks
Gary

Here's the Q-View, pretty intensive, might want to get a drink and get comfortable.

Here is a Jambalaya in its most primitive state. Note: That fine lookin bacon!

Cast Iron #8 pot, I couldn't live without it!

Fry the bacon to season the pan as well as get that wonderful grease to cook with.
Hi Foam, I have been away from the forum for a while, good to see one of your posts again. Enjoyed this post. T

Pork tenderloin, cleaned and silverskin removed, Cut up local sausage that is sooooooo good!

I came back to explain that with jambalaya its best to always cook raw meats, you need to caramelize that protein. If you don't you get a white rice jambalaya, and your friend will talk about it behind your back.

heat on high, smoke rising because its bacon grease, eneter the pork to get that sweet caramel color, this is what make the jambalaya that pretty brown color.

Sausage, I put mine in after the meat is browned because I don't like dry sausage with crunchie side. My Pop does his before the meat to get that grease taste and more color. Its all what you like.

Here is the pot full over that brown delicious crispy love. next we'll add the onions. Onions are great to bring up that flavor. I learned in school that onions and garlic's cell structure is square and jagged all other cells are rounded. I don't know if it helps scour the pan of all that good stuff, but I know it works.

Note that the veggies are "chopped", Jambalaya is normally cooked by men. I like in my Jambalaya some celery and green onion tops. But as noted above, that is just me.

Look at that pretty brown color those onions have picked up. Now adding the garlic to caramelize also.

When the veggies are all happy happy and in the position to share all that sweet goodness, we add back the meat and the juiced that accumulates in the plate they were sitting in.

Now its water time, Rice is two to one ratio, but add a extra splash for the long grain rice as well as what's coming up next. I add here also cayenne and thyme and the secret ingredient/crutch/cheat.

Shhhhhh......... this is my cheat. Roosters just don't have the flavor of an old hen, but they cook much faster and tenderer. So I sneak in a l mood modifier to balance out that taste.

Put on the lid. get the vapors sneaking out the sides, reduce the heat to lowest. Let simmer for 10 to 15 mins. This relaxes the meats and marries all those flavors that you are wanting in your rice..... Rice? Oh no we forgot the rice. LOL

After the simmer, heat up, add the rice, stir it up.

Re-Lid, and when the steam os puffing out, turn the heat as low as it will go.

Low and slow for the win!

Then while waiting you can watch the game, clean up your mess or.......

Check your supply of sweet flavored stuff and make a drink, you deserve it!

Peel a fresh pineapple, chop up the skin, add a little Vodka and start a soak

Here is your finial result. tender meats, perfect rice, excellent taste.

Bonus question, what did I forget? That's right no salt. When using chicken flavored crystals they have a lot of salt, so instead of adding too much, I'll let everyone do their own.

That is step by step, while watching the football game! remember its like Gumbo or BBQ they are all different, you work the pot with what you cook and you'll enjoy what comes out. You can't mess up. If its slightly burns on the bottom its called "Groton" and in Cajun that means, 'the good shit on the bottom'.

Appreciate you stopping by and checking it out.

Its easy, its good, its flexible, and ya can't mess up!

There are lots of recipes for Jambalaya here and on the net. I hope you find something here that helps you or gets you to try making one.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Hi Foam, I've been away from the forum for a while, good to hear from you. This is basi
Here's the Q-View, pretty intensive, might want to get a drink and get comfortable.

Here is a Jambalaya in its most primitive state. Note: That fine lookin bacon!

Cast Iron #8 pot, I couldn't live without it!

Fry the bacon to season the pan as well as get that wonderful grease to cook with.

Pork tenderloin, cleaned and silverskin removed, Cut up local sausage that is sooooooo good!

I came back to explain that with jambalaya its best to always cook raw meats, you need to caramelize that protein. If you don't you get a white rice jambalaya, and your friend will talk about it behind your back.

heat on high, smoke rising because its bacon grease, eneter the pork to get that sweet caramel color, this is what make the jambalaya that pretty brown color.

Sausage, I put mine in after the meat is browned because I don't like dry sausage with crunchie side. My Pop does his before the meat to get that grease taste and more color. Its all what you like.

Here is the pot full over that brown delicious crispy love. next we'll add the onions. Onions are great to bring up that flavor. I learned in school that onions and garlic's cell structure is square and jagged all other cells are rounded. I don't know if it helps scour the pan of all that good stuff, but I know it works.

Note that the veggies are "chopped", Jambalaya is normally cooked by men. I like in my Jambalaya some celery and green onion tops. But as noted above, that is just me.

Look at that pretty brown color those onions have picked up. Now adding the garlic to caramelize also.

When the veggies are all happy happy and in the position to share all that sweet goodness, we add back the meat and the juiced that accumulates in the plate they were sitting in.

Now its water time, Rice is two to one ratio, but add a extra splash for the long grain rice as well as what's coming up next. I add here also cayenne and thyme and the secret ingredient/crutch/cheat.

Shhhhhh......... this is my cheat. Roosters just don't have the flavor of an old hen, but they cook much faster and tenderer. So I sneak in a l mood modifier to balance out that taste.

Put on the lid. get the vapors sneaking out the sides, reduce the heat to lowest. Let simmer for 10 to 15 mins. This relaxes the meats and marries all those flavors that you are wanting in your rice..... Rice? Oh no we forgot the rice. LOL

After the simmer, heat up, add the rice, stir it up.

Re-Lid, and when the steam os puffing out, turn the heat as low as it will go.

Low and slow for the win!

Then while waiting you can watch the game, clean up your mess or.......

Check your supply of sweet flavored stuff and make a drink, you deserve it!

Peel a fresh pineapple, chop up the skin, add a little Vodka and start a soak

Here is your finial result. tender meats, perfect rice, excellent taste.

Bonus question, what did I forget? That's right no salt. When using chicken flavored crystals they have a lot of salt, so instead of adding too much, I'll let everyone do their own.

That is step by step, while watching the football game! remember its like Gumbo or BBQ they are all different, you work the pot with what you cook and you'll enjoy what comes out. You can't mess up. If its slightly burns on the bottom its called "Groton" and in Cajun that means, 'the good shit on the bottom'.

Appreciate you stopping by and checking it out.

Its easy, its good, its flexible, and ya can't mess up!

There are lots of recipes for Jambalaya here and on the net. I hope you find something here that helps you or gets you to try making one.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Hi Foam, I've been away from the forum for awhile. I did my first smoke on father's day since knee replacement surgery in October. Enjoyed this post. This is basically the way I cook my Jambalaya although I haven't used the chicken crystals. Some one asked me once how long to boil the meat. I told him you boil the meat until you run out of beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky