How to piss off a Cajun stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Jambalaya Gave the Blackstone a workout with the onions, bell peppers, celery, jalapeños , onion, garlic, shrimp, chicken and andouille yesterday. Into the pot with Cajun spices , diced and crushed tomato and okra. Grilled up a couple more lbs of shrimp today too. I serve the Cajun shrimp on the side s some folks don’t like shrimp. Here’s some ready to serve. Overall I made 2 gallons. Made up some smoked Gouda keto cheesy “grits” to go with it. Lots for leftovers and giveaway. Spice blend was 3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons fine kosher salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon cayenne
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme I made a double batch of the spice and had a nice small shaker full leftover. a
F03686EA-3AF3-4C36-AEC6-06FA2A0ED8D8.jpeg
2E4B890D-5EEA-4E88-B6EE-D73377A46FFC.jpeg
29919D5A-1C39-4FF1-B352-F0D305150846.jpeg
4660055A-6B64-4E87-9560-3AFF4A95683F.jpeg
B79ECAE0-64E9-487B-8911-D332A76F6D2C.jpeg
055CDE23-F2A3-44CC-80B2-78CFB8906905.jpeg

Last edited:
That jambaylaya looks amazing Jeff! I sure could go for some of that right now.

Did you use up the extra okra in the pic? I would be grilling or frying that up for sure!

Reactions: jcam222
I rarely post here, heck this might even be my first one...

That looks absolutely delicious but that aint jambalaya. And there aint nothing cajun about it.

Looks awesome Jeff! Love all the flavor you have going on there! Andouille? Shrimp? Onion bell pepper celery? Seems like some good Cajun cooking to me! Big like !

Man Jeff thats a beautiful plate.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks awesome Jeff! Love all the flavor you have going on there! Andouille? Shrimp? Onion bell pepper celery? Seems like some good Cajun cooking to me! Big like !

Thankfully in Ohio it will pass for jambalaya and Cajun flavors all day long.

Do you take a blow torch to a brisket and call it smoked? Most definitely not.

As I said before, it looks delicious but dont call it what its not. You want jambalaya, I will send you the real deal. Courtbullion, sauce piquant, etouffe, You name it I will send it. Better yet, come visit and I will teach you the proper way to make it.

If youre going to call that jambalaya at the very least add some rice and make it brown. Theres no such thing as red gravy jambalaya. How the heck did you even get it that soupy anyways? Im being fully serious with that last question.

Do you take a blow torch to a brisket and call it smoked? Most definitely not.

As I said before, it looks delicious but dont call it what its not. You want jambalaya, I will send you the real deal. Courtbullion, sauce piquant, etouffe, You name it I will send it. Better yet, come visit and I will teach you the proper way to make it.

If youre going to call that jambalaya at the very least add some rice and make it brown. Theres no such thing as red gravy jambalaya. How the heck did you even get it that soupy anyways? Im being fully serious with that last question.
We'd love to see some pics of your Cajun food. We are more of an encouraging/friendly forum. No need to put people on blast. He's on a keto diet so no rice. Nobody is gonna want to interact with you with an attitude like that though. If that's what you want to contribute then this might not be the forum for you

Reactions: Sowsage
We'd love to see some pics of your Cajun food. We are more of an encouraging/friendly forum. No need to put people on blast. He's on a keto diet so no rice. Nobody is gonna want to interact with you with an attitude like that though. If that's what you want to contribute then this might not be the forum for you

the pendulum swings both ways. how is a Cajun like myself supposed to feel when he sees something like this. I take offense to people trying to pass stuff like this as Cajun or jambalaya. We take our food serious down here, as well as our traditions.

as I said earlier. It looks delicious. Just don’t call it what it’s not. I will try to get some pics up. We cook and eat, and teach in person. Taking pics isn’t our strong point. 10 times out of 10 we are eating strait out of the pot while it’s still steaming hot.

the pendulum swings both ways. how is a Cajun like myself supposed to feel when he sees something like this. I take offense to people trying to pass stuff like this as Cajun or jambalaya. We take our food serious down here, as well as our traditions.

as I said earlier. It looks delicious. Just don’t call it what it’s not. I will try to get some pics up. We cook and eat, and teach in person. Taking pics isn’t our strong point. 10 times out of 10 we are eating strait out of the pot while it’s still steaming hot.
6 whole posts on the forum 3 of which are in MY thread. To honor you I renamed the dish in the thread title. Sleep tight and don’t let the gators bite.

Grits instead of rice you say? Damn Jeff. I'm doing this! I never gave that a thought. I love shrimp and grits. So I bet this would be awesome.

6 whole posts on the forum 3 of which are in MY thread. To honor you I renamed the dish in the thread title. Sleep tight and don’t let the gators bite.
I feel honoroed. And what kind of weirdos do you think we are? Gators are in the living room, we dont let them sleep next to us for obvious reasons.

Seriously. Whatever you made does look awesome. I had no problem with it. Just the wording. If you were to call it a cajun name it most closely resembles a sauce piquante. If you would have started with a roux base, it could be a courtbullion (coo-be-yon as we call it). Jambalaya has no liquid in it. It's a rice and meat dish.

You need to ditch the keto for a day and I will send you up some authentic stuff. Damn near everything we eat, we eat over rice.

I feel honoroed. And what kind of weirdos do you think we are? Gators are in the living room, we dont let them sleep next to us for obvious reasons.

Seriously. Whatever you made does look awesome. I had no problem with it. Just the wording. If you were to call it a cajun name it most closely resembles a sauce piquante. If you would have started with a roux base, it could be a courtbullion (coo-be-yon as we call it). Jambalaya has no liquid in it. It's a rice and meat dish.

You need to ditch the keto for a day and I will send you up some authentic stuff. Damn near everything we eat, we eat over rice.
All good man. We are all just hear to share and eat lol. If you have a gator in the living room cut his tail off and mail it. I want to smoke it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky